This seems to be the theme of the summer! I thought with a new baby we would stay home a little more this summer but I guess I underestimated the ability of a baby to travel with such grace. Our little Miss Layla has turned out to be quite the road warrior and travels with the best of them!
We just kept going, just kept going and ended up in Enterprise for the annual 24th of July Rodeo and Fun Run! I must mention the laziness of the Fun Run Club this year, nobody did the 10K only the 5K. I will put in a plug for Brooke, however, because she would have done the 10K but is 21 weeks pregnant and instead just decided to take 1st in the 5k. There were many other awards given: Jason took a 2nd, Eryka took a 2nd (I think??) and Ali took a 2nd. Rand would have taken a 4th if they hadn't changed the age brackets, he complained all day (by the way who gets an award for 4th anyway?) Everyone else received a free t-shirt.
(I am missing from this picture because I opted out of the run this year and watched the kids, basically a great excuse because I am really out of shape.)
We remembered the theme of the summer and just kept going and going until we reached the Promised Land ( Beaver Mountain)! Big John's Flat is one of the most beautiful places to camp in. I think someone knew I was coming to escape the heat and painted a beautiful rainbow in the sky just because I like things with a little more color. (Sidenote.... this picture looks like it was ripped out of a magazine to attract tourism to Ireland, who knew Beaver could produce something this gorgeous)?

The mountains bring out a spiritual side of me and everyone just feels happy and joyful. Jason especially felt joyful and laid a big hug on Grandpa Don! By the look on grandpa's face I would say the love is partially returned!

Why could I be in the mountains all summer and be perfectly content? Because something happens in little boys when computers are far away, Nintendo DS's are locked away and XBox and Wii are nonexistent. Little boys become mountain men and tend their own little fire all day, they take hikes and truly play with one another. Wood is collected and jobs are shared, deer and elk are spotted and all things just seem simpler. (I must say I love the mountains but after 4 days I was a little stinky).

Mountain time makes big boys slow down too! Dads get to spend some one on one hanging with the boys!
Little missy was perfect as usual! Where we camped elevation registered 10,000 ft, this equaled 10 hrs of uninterrupted sleep a night for Miss L!

1 comment:
What!! how dare you camp in OUR mountains and never say a word!!!We probably were camping at the same time up in about the same area.. Too bad we didnt run into you.. but you are so right..it is the promised land. Your baby is darling. I love reading your blog..You are a crazy busy mom having loads of fun all the time. Take Care!!!
Post a Comment