The BMan seemed to be a bit nervous that our house would soon wash away and so I immediately did what any good parent would do and I sang him the primary song the "wise man and the foolish man", "you know BMan.. the wise man built his house upon a rock or a hill in our case" this seem to pacify him and he commended us for being so wise! I must make note that our friends and fellow Mesquite People that were being flooded were not foolish men by any means, the song just helped ease a 3 yr old little curious mind.
Now on with the story..... while driving around Rand received a text from a friend of his that his house was in danger and they needed help with sand bagging and protecting their house. Rand was trapped at the hospital all day so we ran over and then I realized that 3 kids near a raging river the size of the Mississippi would not be so wise and my sandbagging dreams shortly ended. Instead, we grabbed one of their darling children and brought her home with us to enjoy a crazy day with the Bracken Clan.
We watched the news and played, "spot who you know" which was the whole town and I felt so emotional.
This is the part where I feel flooded!
Flood #1
I was in awe of my quaint little community. I loved the spirit of unity! I loved that people rose to the call of people in need and I love that I felt genuinely concerned for so many people. Mesquite is truly becoming our home and we love the people in this hot little desert town!
(I totally stole this picture from my friends blog)
Flood #2I love Christmas! Kids out of school, eating treats for breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner. The door ringing and people coming by. I love the hustle and bustle but mostly I love when the tree lights are on (in our case half the tree lights - We have a strong suspicion that a little curly haired princess named Miss L ate through the cord and only half of the lights are functioning at this point.) but still the family snuggles on the couch with the half-lit tree watching old Christmas movies and I am flooded with a feeling of gratefulness and love!
Flood #3
Our new Christmas addition this year -Little Miss L - I really can't get enough of her. She moves, she scoots, she crawls, she walks around the couch.
She is like Baby Alive for big people!
I could dress her and put bows in her hair with matching shoes and she just takes it. She laughs, she giggles, she chases her brothers as fast as her fat thighs will take her and I secretly think it is funny when she unwraps the presents and eats the Christmas Tree, but don't tell anyone. (I only tell her "no" when Rand and the kids are around, when they are gone she has freedom, I am sure this will bite me in the butt down the road, but for now she is just so cute)!
Flood #3
Magic is overflowing and flooding from everywhere. Just look at Braden and Layla's face they just can't believe their eyes, Santa really came to visit. Braden just believed it was a magical day when he got to wear his jammies to school, he was in "soft clothes heaven".
Either this is a very interesting Santa or my kids need to learn not to stare!
Thank you Miss Janiece for such a fun Preschool Day!
Flood #4
This 8 yr old little boy is my trial and my joy! (Is that a church hymn, sounds vaguely familiar). Only a trial because he is so full of personality and a little bit dramatic (I think he gets this from Rand). He keeps us busy and has a heart of gold. By the way he would do anything for his little brother and sister, I know he understands that family is not to be taken for granted. He worked just as hard as we did and went through just as much to have his little family and for that we love him even more. Miss L lights up when Jakey is near and cuddling on the couch is a nightly event.
Flood #5
Christmas is the time to reflect on the Savior. I find myself so busy with the decorating and party planning that I sometimes forget the reason for the season! How thankful I am that the Savior set a perfect example for us. That in this journey of life we have the gospel to help us be better people. My heart is flooded with emotion this Christmas Season for all of the blessings I have been given. I feel so fortunate and wish I could go out and create "World Peace". I guess I will start with trying to create a little family peace first and try and get these crazy kids to grow up to be shining examples and "doers" of good!
Merry Christmas!

3 comments:
Shemri your blog is so awesome. You totally inspire me to become a better blogger! Thanks for being such a caring and wonderful friend! Merry Christmas!
Well, look at you being all grateful!! :) Love it! How scary for Mesquite. I'm glad you..."built your house on the rock"....
What a cute little Lulu! I miss you guys all the time, but especially during holidays because for so long you guys were our family away from our family!! Sigh...Anyhow, hope your Christmas was grand and I look forward to seein you really soon! Love you all! Kiss those kids! SHAN
Thank heavens for hills! Christmas is awesome. I think things the kids do are adorable too but Scott is a bit of a stickler. Oh well, have fun with your baby when it's just the two of you. When the kids get back in school and you have a minute, we need to chat. I was reading old letters again the other day.
Tasha signed up to move to WV with Consol.
Post a Comment