This running around like a chicken with my head cut off is probably not the best use of my time this summer but It seems to be all I am able to accomplish! I should probably throw the chicken analogy out the window and use a lizard with it's tail cut off instead. Reason being is that Jake and BMan have decided to be lizard whisperers for the summer and I have seen my fair share of wiggly chopped off lizard tails all over the back patio. Did you know that if you grab a lizard by the tail it falls off and the lizard runs away? If you feel like you have missed out on this bit of knowledge you are welcome to attend the filming every morning or evening of "Lizards Alive and Well" at the Bracken Habitat for Tailless Lizards. National Geographic has nothing on us. Four lizards were caught, studied and one lost it's tail just tonight! We might feed the lizard tail to the dead pigeon in the front yard who flew speedily to it's death when it bounced off the office window. Who said life in Mesquite wasn't exciting?
Tangent - Webster's dictionary would define the last paragraph as a tangent! Whew!
Here is my goal.....one entry (at least every 2 days) until the summer is caught up. Wouldn't want my journal to be incomplete. Let's journey way back to Memorial Day!
Two things happen like clockwork every Memorial Day.
The 1st one is I stop and allow myself to feel thankful for the opportunity of living in America. I take time to reflect about our soldiers and set goals to instill more patriotism in my children. To express to them the peace that comes from living in a country that is protected by the bravest and most selfless of men and women.
The 2nd thing that happens is a feeling. An over whelming sense of melancholly for those who are not here with us anymore. The people who have touched my life in ways I will never forget. Loved ones who have left a lasting imprint on my heart.
This picture summarizes the two feelings I have each year. I would do anything for a big bear hug from my brother, (I would even take a helicopter spin which I hated with all my heart if it meant I could see him one more time). This picture also shows me that life does go on and this cute little 8 yr old boy is not so little anymore. He has grown up to be an amazing young man and I will see him graduate as a soldier in just a few weeks. I sometimes wish Jake could be here to see how well this little guy has turned out, he would be so proud just like I am.
Memorial Day is a melting pot of emotions for me, some of them happy and some of them sad. This year as we visited the cemetery I had such an "Ah ha" moment. Watching little Miss Layla climb all over Jesse's headstone was such a bitter sweet moment for me. A flood of emotions carried me away to a bit of sadness and lots of thankfulness. Sadness for a little boy that we had for such a short time but an overwhelming happiness for a little girl with big brown eyes that came to complete our family. In this moment I knew that Heavenly Father always had a plan for our family. His hand was always outstretched in love and at this moment I knew that all the years of prayers had been answered. I didn't know that the answers to my prayers would sometimes be so hard to accept but after the acceptance came the over abundance of blessings that you see right here.
Hope you had some happy thoughts on Memorial Day as well!

3 comments:
It was so fun to see you the other day. Your kids are darling or should I quote Bman and say they are awesome. I have been laughing about that for weeks. :)
You have such a special Family, Shem!! I think you are amazing! I love reading your posts. You really should write a book :)
This post made me cry... I miss Jake too and I'm sure being pregnant isn't helping me much.
Post a Comment