Monday, July 11, 2011

Sleep!

Sleep brings new perspective in so many ways, let me explain.

1st glimpse of knowledge.... I am a girl who needs her sleep!  I am not saying I need a lot of sleep but I need my 6.5 to 7 hrs every night.  When this does not happen my kids sometimes see the angel that I usually pride myself on being, disappear.  The next thing that happens is not pretty and I don't want to admit it but sometimes the devil takes up roots in the house instead.  It is amazing that this switch from angel to devil can flip so quickly.  It sometimes even scares me, so heaven help what it does to my precious little monsters!  Summer has been crazy so far and I am not complaining because I focus on making my summers crazy.  I jam pack it full of fun and vacations to escape the heat that everyone has so often heard me complaining about.  But this summer, I have come to realize that my crazy life wears on my kids.  I will never admit defeat but we will have to surrender every now and again.

2nd tidbit of wisdom.....Kids need their sleep!  If I am going to run my kids into the ground with fun trips and activity, I have to schedule in some days of rest.  This little gumdrop of knowledge is improving so many daily events.  Tantrums have become minor, stubbornness can sometimes be manipulated, and the lengthy visits from "devil woman" have been less frequent.

3rd nugget of perspective...Sleep makes everything better.  Last night I walked in to check on the kids before I went to bed like I do every night.  As I entered Jake and Braden's room I realized that my simple plea for them to clean their room before they fell asleep did not come to fruition.  The barstool from the kitchen was still in front of the door, from the fort that was built midday.  The toys were pushed to the sides of the room creating a perfect trail to the bunk beds.  Jake's lamp was ever glowing even though I had said, "lights out"  hours a go.  There were clothes everywhere which is always funny to me, simply because Braden has now vetoed every piece of clothing he owns except for three outfits that are soft enough for him to wear.  Wet swimming suits and wet towels were still on the floor and a package of those cheap, orange, disgusting cracker pack things were crumbled along the dresser.  This is where the perspective came in....because my cute little monsters were sleeping peacefully the mess didn't matter.  If I would have walked in and they were awake they would have seen the devil emerge. But they were asleep and let's face it... sometimes that truly is when they are the cutest.

Now that I am going to get more sleep I am going to catch up on this blog which is behind approximately  a whole summer.  I may even start to make sense without need to ramble.  So until tomorrow......... just look at these cute little monsters.


No comments: