I really wish I could stop talking so I could actually smile in a picture!
Trek 2012
Ma and Pa, really?
I find myself questioning
when I crossed the threshold of being part of a “cool young couple” to a “mature
established couple”? It’s
hilarious to me when I observe a group of people and realize that I have become
that person, that youth leader from my childhood. The one I had a sneaky suspicion that she might have been
cool in the day but absolutely could not possibly relate to me now for the mere
fact that her age made it impossible.
So how did I become a “ma” and how did Rand become a “pa” to
a group of teenagers we didn’t even know.
Let’s begin……………way back at the beginning of the year,
President Hafen caught me at church and told me that he thought Rand and I
would be good candidates to accompany the youth on trek in June. I realize now that President Hafen just
knew we were naïve to the whole “Mesquite” way of doing trek and probably wouldn’t
say no! He was right and we
embarked on an adventure that gave me a newfound respect for so many things!
Trainings came first…..
Ma’s and Pa’s
met together multiple times to be “trained” for trek. I would like to add that no amount of training could have
prepared me for trek because I thought I had it in the bag. I mean, really, how hard could it
possibly be? I grew up camping, I
know how to work hard and Rand was and will always remain a farmer. That about basically says it all,
right? Wrong! The physical aspect of trek did not
scare me as much as the fact that in our trainings as “ma and “pa” we were
given a handbook to govern ourselves by.
Let me quote from the handbook…..
“ Dear Ma’s and
Pa’s,
We are so pleased that you have committed to join us in our
Stake Youth Conference Trek 2012!
W know that the ultimate success of this Trek in the lives of the youth
of our stake sits squarely on your shoulders and we know that the very
best shoulders have been called to be Ma’s and Pa’s”
No pressure right!
Did you read the part about the success of trek sitting squarely on my
shoulders? I will have you know
that I have rounded shoulders and sometimes things roll off them. I just prayed that I was not about to
ruin the experience of a lifetime for a youth in our community!
Think about this scenario for just a minute….9 teenagers
stripped of their comfort zones, paired with peers that they have not spent
time with and placed with a ‘ma and pa’ that they did not know previously. Sounds like a perfect setting for
sharing feelings and spiritual processing, right? A perfect environment for teenagers to talk about what makes
then tick, what trials they face and not forgetting their weaknesses and
strengths. Even better, this
environment would allow them to talk openly and in front of their peers. You can see where I am going with
this? But as trek came to a close and now reflecting back on the
entire experience I did not know that this most uncomfortable situation would
encompass my most spiritual memories?
These “uncomfortable” times I dreaded seem to find themselves happening
very natural, very thought provoking and even gave me a glimpse of a “noble and
stalwart” man that sometimes goes by the name of “pa”!
Back to the trainings……..
As I was able to meet with the other ma’s and pa’s I came to
the realization that there are many great people in this community. I started to feel pride in the fact
that I get to live here and associate with these good people. When I say great people, I don’t mean
it was all testimony and feel good time…..there were lots of laughs and lots of
“fun time” between us ma’s and pa’s and I will treasure the friendships we made
being involved in this “crazy” thing called trek”.
Ma’s and pa’s had a practice run of trek a couple of weeks
before the real event. I found
myself feeling like I was in high school!
I was completely insecure about my outfit, my hat, my bloomers, my apron
that added an extra layer of “poofiness”
around the part I did not want to look poofy and the whole idea of not
wearing any makeup was just a lot to take in. Not so much thinking about myself but not wanting to scare
those around me was a definite concern of mine. With this insecurity making me a little anxious I decided to
smuggle in a few goods of my own.
A few things like mascara, deodorant and toothpaste were all occupying
space in my bucket. Who knew
that the “practice trek” would feel more “real” then practice and even the ma’s
and pa’s would be exposed to a shakedown?
I quickly was enveloped in guilt and confessed my sins to the ramrods
out loud in front of all the ma’s and pa’s! Smuggling cosmetics and personal hygiene right from the get
go…. I was already bad at this pioneer stuff!
In all my years of camping I really can’t recall sleeping
under the stars on a tarp with out a pillow. There have been many nights on a trampoline growing up but
camping experiences were done in tents, trailers and cabins. I didn’t sleep much that “practice
trek” but Rand claimed it was the best 15 minutes he ever slept in his
life. Lucky him!
As June 13th approached I felt myself wondering if I was prepared for this
upcoming event. In a fit of
nervousness I called my “daughter of the Utah Pioneers” mother-in- law and told
her to scan her library for any books on pioneers that could magically turn me
into a spiritual- pioneer- historian in about a week! Ironically enough, two of the books she game me to read were
of pioneers that trekked from Switzerland to Utah and ended up in a little
place called, Bunkerville NV! I
read these books to my kids and scanned the ones I didn’t have time to read
(thinking all the while that this would make me a better trekker, sometimes I
really wish someone would shake me and tell me not to procrastinate the day of
my repentance)! I should have been
preparing for something like this my whole life, but knowing me I will probably
procrastinate and try to sweet talk my way into heaven
TREK 2012
Trek was here and my oh my, I was in for an experience! After a completely humiliating skit and
meeting our family for the first time, the nerves set in. It was time for the shakedown and being
a “recovering smuggler” myself I felt I was probably not the best fit for this
particular task. Our kids were
excited, we were excited and we ended up pulling out first that day into the
hot, hot sun! The kids easily
maneuvered the cart, which was not an easy task. The cart weighed 200 pounds before being loaded with
supplies and water. Reality hit
fast as our kids pulled this cart up a sandy wash for the next 11 miles and Rand
and I helped pull and push the cart and tried to keep our kids cool with my
amazing spray bottle skills. The
heat was hard on many of the kids and they were dropping along the trial
including one of our own. Medics did 17 IV’s that day including
some of the ma’s and pa’s. Rand
was taken many times to help and did 8 of the IV’s himself. Our kids were amazing and we kept them
singing and answering questions the entire day. ( I must add that our kids were
amazing for all 33 miles).
That first night into camp did not come soon enough and our
tired kids drank their chicken broth and slept! I hate to admit it but something about stopping and laying
down made me sick and there was a few times I had to hide out around the corner
to not let my kids see me turn green.
That night as I lay there
thinking about the day, I must say the thoughts that entered my mind were not all positive! “I thought this is too extreme for
these kids, too hard for the leaders, what in the world have I gotten myself
into and how in the world can I get myself out of it”?
Our handbook had an answer to my question!
“Throughout the history of God’s dealings with man, we see
evidence of the trials and afflictions given to members of the church so that
their hearts would be softened.
When hearts are softened sufficiently, they become teachable. This is when real change can
occur. The long pull is an
opportunity to face and overcome a very difficult task. The kids are given the chance to
discover their own strengths and weaknesses, to recognize the strengths of
others and to see where they need to change their own lives.”
Lessons meant for kids were only lessons meant for me I
later realized. The next
morning brought new perspective and a little color to my face. (It is really hard to act tough when I
am usually the one that tends to act a little dainty). With a new day brought new challenges
and the first one came early. With
the morning comes the sun and with it heat. Waiting to get started on the trail my kids and I headed to
the shade of a little cut out in the cliff, the shade was nice but the rattlesnake
wasn’t. RATTLESNAKE, yes I said
that, the one that slept five feet from me and my little family, the one with 9
rattles, the one that was not scared of me! I am happy that angels watched over me and I did not
die along the trial! Death by rattlesnake
venom does not sound like a very romantic death to me!
Trek rolled on day by day and my kids were troopers. We had fun as a family and bonded in
all of our stinky glory. If
I were asked what were my absolute favorite memories of trek I would not
stutter to say the following:
Favorite Memory 1 (not in any particular order)
-Talking with the kids about “chappy butt” ( a very funny
thing) building a relationship of trust deep enough that my boys could ask me
for some diaper cream. Heat and long
pants sometimes give you that really sweaty, not so comfortable feeling.
-The Seeps – Watching my family work together to accomplish
something hard. Embracing teamwork,
embracing one another and looking out for each person’s safety. Not to mention the Seeps were just
really cool, I want to hike there with my “real kids”. This was a day my kids really felt like
they were a family, boundaries and
walls were torn down as kids spoke up and talked about things they were
passionate about. We had lunch and
laughed and talked of things not trivial!
We realized as a little family that we could do hard things in life, with
the help of the Lord.
-Blisters –Why would this be a favorite memory? By day 2 ½ my choice of shoes seemed
really, really stupid! My feet were
swollen and my hiking shoes were just too small! My 12 blisters proved that walking would be a little horrific
that day. Each morning I watched Rand pop and bandage my blisters and do it
again at lunch. He did not complain
about my disgusting stinky feet and he always encouraged me. Blisters showed me that I can do hard
things and I don’t have to complain out loud. Blisters also showed me that miracles do happen. Let me explain, along the trail at
lunch the 2nd day I overheard one of the staff say that they were
headed into town to pick up another kid.
I asked her to go in my house and bring me my other tennis shoes, her
being the amazing miracle worker found me on the trail about 3 hrs later . She brought with her a bag of shoes
from my closet. I didn’t even know
I had that many tennis shoes. My
friend (one of the other Ma’s) in the same dumb shoes as me was having her own
problems with blisters and walking was not her favorite thing at the moment
either. As I approached her with
some extra tennis shoes much too big for her, but perfect for her swollen feet
she shared with me the same appreciation for this “little miracle” a new pair
of shoes could be.
-The Pioneer games and Dance - Such a fun time for the ma’s
and pa’s to talk and laugh and laugh!
It was an excuse and great opportunity to get my boys to brush their
teeth. They were very neglectful
of hygiene along the trail and by day 3 a good “washin” was in store. My boys did attend the dance that night
with clean hands, clean faces and fresh breath.
-Pickels – Who knew a big ole Costco pickle could taste so
good? If you would like to prove
my theory, here is your test….. hike for 2 days in the 100 + heat, push a
handcart and then have someone hand you a freezing cold pickle (out of a cooler
where 100’s of dirty hands have reached in through the pickle juice) and see if
it does not lift your spirits?
Just try it, yummy!
-Bunkerville Welcome home parade - I cried and cried! I felt so proud of our little family and what they accomplished! Not to forget the popsicle someone handed me was the best thing I have ever tasted!
- All time favorite memory of trek!
-Watching exceptional youth do exceptional things. Watching exhausted kids so tired they
can barely push a handcart have their spirits lifted as the kids who had
already pushed came to help.
Watching kids give their best effort to pull handcarts up a cliff with a
pully system. Watching leaders
emerge from youth that will soon become the leaders and examples of faith for
everyone! Finding great people in
a community that is my home!
Whew!
Enough already!


2 comments:
It sounds like you had a wonderful time and have memories you will never forget. John, my oldest was able to participate in a trek at Martins Cove this summer. He had an experience that I know he will never forget, one that tested him both physically and spiritually.
Cried and laughed reading this. Can I just copy and paste it to my blog?
Post a Comment