Thursday, November 8, 2012

DOWN! SET! HIKE!



That is the right terminology, right?

You would think that when your dad coaches for most of your life, your brothers play and your son loves it... you could figure it out.......but nope not me!

Football (The mystery sport)
The mystery is not in the rules, I can honestly say I do understand most of the fundamentals of football, (don't ask me what a blitz is or a hook play - I just made that one up)  but I know the basic rules.  

The mystery of football to me is this.........After the whistle is blown and the play has started where does the ball go?  Where does my son go?  What happens at the bottom of the bodies of 4th grade kids.  I watch so intently with my sights on Jake and then someone behind me will say, "did you see Jake's tackle".  I smile and clap and hoot and holler and all the while thinking (absolutely not!)  I did not see the tackle because I didn't see where the ball or Jake went!  I truly think it must be a deficiency I was born with because everyone else seems to see it all crystal clear.  Don't get me wrong, I see the 80 yard runs and the tackles out in the open but that's about it.  

Funny thing..........
I still love it, I still get anxious, I still love the energy of the crowd, I love buying Gatorade and packing a cooler of snacks for Bman and Layla and I love that I know what my Saturdays from August to October are going to be!
I would never admit this during the season when I wish I had a free Saturday without a game to travel too, but now that it's over I wish we had at least one a month!  He He

Sad thing...........
This year Jake improved so much and got more aggressive but I only have a picture of his
 first game ............

 and his last...........
(neither of which you can see him in)

But I was there at every game and I cheered and cheered!  "Jakey Boy, I assure you that I have a million memories even if I don't have a million pictures!"


 side note..........
Braden loves going to Jake's football games, why?  Because of the most amazing boy in the entire world, named CADE!

Cade treats BMan like he is a king and Braden pretty much worships the ground Cade walks on!  We pray for Cade, we talk about Cade and we wish that someday Cade can come to our house for a BQ.  (I really need to make that happen). 

To Cade: (who will never read this blog post), thank you for being an amazing kid and taking Braden under your wing.  Thanks for treating him so sweet even when your friends were around.  Thanks for making my life easier at games and above all thanks for being such a great kid and great example to those around you! 


DOWN, SET EAT!
B's team was great this season as well and B never cared if they won or lost but if they didn't get a snack at the end there were tears.  With this in mind I find it perfectly suiting that the only picture I got of his season was the last game and him eating a cupcake!


We can't forget..............
Miss Layla!  
She did her best to support her brothers all season long!  And really who can blame her when at the end of a long day of football in St. George she did what we all wanted to do... pull up the first recliner you see and have a rest.  It didn't matter that it happened to be in Costco - but it did matter when we wanted her to leave it.. Whoa that was a tantrum that would have made any lineman shake in his cleats.  Those boys have nothing on this 2 yr old.  We may have another football player in the making!


That's it - It's over - Until next season!

Go Bulldogs!





No comments: