Thursday, February 12, 2015

Remember Valentine Cards that looked like this? Bear with me as a I feel a rant coming on.  I remember "real" Valentine Cards, quite well in fact.  I remember going to the store and carefully making a decision on which Valentines I would give to my classmates.  Oh the scrutiny over each Valentine and the endless time I would spend on picking out just the right one for each of my friends.  I remember making sure that absolutely not one Valentine going to a boy had the word "love" on it, in it or anywhere to be found by it.  I would have died of embarrasament if ever a boy thought I liked them more than a friend.  After the Valentines were addressed with not just  my name at the bottom...  but addressed to somebody as well I would start my Valentine Box.  Not being very creative in my family I usually got an aluminum foiled box that if you concentrated hard enough looked like a robot, mailbox, or cake of some kind.  But at the end of it I knew I had selected the right card for the right person and I had a lovely shiny, white doily covered something or other to put the Valentines I would receive in.   Today as I subbed 1st grade and was in charge of the Valentines Festivities I found myself sad at the memories that my own children won't create.  Most Valentines were just candy with a "from so and so" but not addressed to anyone.  (I know this makes it go faster when passing out) but what if we spent an extra half an hour passing the invitations out to each child individually?  What if we actually wrote a note to a cute friend or let a boy know we had a crush on them?  Would it be so bad?  It might be because kids would be embarrassed, kids would smile and my own kids might end up going with an aluminum foiled robot as a Valentine Box.

1 comment:

Advice from Ordinary People Flourishing Together said...

Loved this post, it made me smile. I have often thought that Valentines is not nearly as cool as it used to be and I really loved that you used the word Doily.