Call me weird, I love baseball!
I love sunflower seeds, I love visiting with other parents, I love kids overcoming fears, I love it all. I love that the BMan most definitely conquered his fears this year. This was his first year playing little league and he quickly learned that he wasn't in rec league anymore.
Let's paint a picture........
By far he was one of the smallest on the team (the Moscow Raptor's) which directly made his strike zone the size of a grapefruit. But none the less he stepped up to the plate with confidence his first trip up to bat. He crouched, he got his elbow back and watched the ball all the way into his helmet. That's right, pounded in the head, right in the head. The sound was heard two towns over I am sure (not the best way to start the season). If that wasn't bad enough he got pounded again in the same game. To say the least.......this made him a little gun shy of the pitcher and for that matter, the batter box all together.
Who could blame him?
He spent the rest of the season very willing to walk, or get on base by being hit. Like all good parents do... we talked to him each game about swinging the bat, being positive, and went that didn't work we tried bribes (if he would just swing the bat, we would pay him $5.00), but even with amazing parenting he did not budge. He would not stay in the box or swing that bat no matter what we said. I must give him some credit for being a great little left fielder and for a great throwing arm. He was excellent for moral support to the other players and all in all a great team mate. So great that he was voted by his team and coaches to be the bat boy at a legion game. They read a little bio of him over the loud speaker and he was a super star. When the game was over, I asked him how he liked being the bat boy to the big guys and he responded, "it was great, but man they swear a lot". More points for Braden for sticking to his standards! :) Back to the season...
2nd to last game after mercilessly begging him to swing, he got up to bat, the bat was swung and a strike out happened. We were thrilled! This was just the step he needed to build that confidence back.
Let's paint the next picture...
Last game of the season, Braden up to bat, he swings, a miss, he swings, are you kidding me??? A foul ball, next pitch, he swings, there is contact and an amazing hit. He turned on his wheels and headed down the base line. The little guy was safe and the entire team and bleacher's erupted in applause. I may have shed tears but you will know. His smile was not contained and guess what? He wants to play next year. It just gets in your blood, and by all means it should..... it is the sport of America, (even if it is mostly made up of lovely people from the Dominican Republic).
Jake played on the..... ready for this,
The Moscow Yard Goats!
It was a great way to break him into Moscow and find some friends before the summer hit. Kind of hard breaking into an established team but in the end, earned his spot and came out with some great hits. This guy is all about extremes. He likes to knock it way out, or strike out, I wish he was a little more consistent with base hits (mostly selfish on my part) my nerves can't take it very well. But he loves it and for that alone I am happy!
I wish I would have kept record of how many bags of seeds I bought during baseball season because there were many. And by the way...
who knew they made seeds in every flavor of the human pallet. After many games and many hours of cracking, shelling and spitting, I have narrowed it down that dill pickle and ranch are a must have when it comes to seeds.
Until next season!





2 comments:
I'm loving this!
So fun. I love your boys.
Post a Comment