Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Geodes with Nana

My mom is a very adventurous woman! She is fascinated by life and the mysteries of the unknown! I think she is a bit eccentric but she seems to think she is fairly normal. I do appreciate that my mom instilled in us the love of learning although as a child I felt her methods to be a bit harsh. Let me explain.....I remember growing up and going to the zoo and watching children lined up for a ride on the train while I was still on the 3rd exhibit reading the entire plaque about the African Gazelle. Driving in a car meant that we stopped for landmarks when dad allowed and we all seem to know about rocks that nobody else notices or cares about. My point for sharing all of this is now her enjoyment of life is being taught to the next generation, Jakey loves to hang out with Nana and thinks she is so so smart. My mom is now the reason my son looks at a rock and tells me that it is limestone or calcite or Rosetta. He knows the proper name for "Fools gold" and I still can't remember. His rock collection is pretty amazing and so when Nana told him that she had found geodes in the desert he could not wait to break them open and see the crystals inside, (I was just amazed he knew they had crystals inside).

Sidenote... My favorite thing about this picture is that she made him wear a helmet but his barefeet have no chance of being smashed by a hammer.... oh Nana!


a

5 comments:

Julie said...

Our home teacher brought us a giant geode once with a lesson about it's not what matters on the outside, it's the inside that counts. Kason had a ball breaking it open and displayed it proudly. What a great lesson for kids.

tsroybal said...

That is so your mom. I think its awesome that our kids are interested in the things we thought were stupid when we were their age. Jake is such a doll!

The Hawkins Gang said...

This blog was awesome!!! You mom has always done that and the fact that she is doing that with her grandchildren is awesome. It was so good seeing her at the wedding and seeing all of you. You and Rand have to be the cutest family ever and I'm excited to find out what you're going to be having! :)

Advice from Ordinary People Flourishing Together said...

This totally cracked me up. The helmet / bare feet thing is so like her.

Ian and Lara said...

That is so funny! I like the no shoes with a helmet!