Monday, July 6, 2009

There is nothing like a.....

Small town on the 4th of July! Let me tell you why!

1st you must have some background:

Rand is an official......

What is an Enterprise Alum, you may ask? It's a person who graduated from a class of 59 people with over half of those people being related to you in someway or another. Your next question I am sure is...do these towns still exist? They do and Rand just happened to grow up in one.

To help you out let me show you where the quaint little town of Enterprise is.............

I found myself on the 4th of July sitting in the auditorium of Enterprise High School. Rand's talented mom wrote the program for the town 4th of July Program and so.... Rand the "Enterprise Alum" became the Master of Ceremonies! Looking around the room I became fascinated with "people watching"(one of my favorite pastimes). As I people watched I started to observe.
Observations: Families sitting together (children, teenagers, parents, grandparents), most people dressed in red, white and blue, lots of smiles, a few really bad hairdo's(small town stuff), men with sunburned necks and tired hands and the list goes on!
The program started and as I started listening to the words that were spoken I became happy that my two boys were there learning about patriotism and experiencing love of country! I stood reverently as the flag was raised and got emotional when we repeated the Pledge Of Allegiance! There was no reminder that hats were to be taken off or that children should be quiet and respectful and I was proud to live in the USA. I felt somewhat proud to be a a little "small town" myself married to a "farmer"! The songs of all the Armed Forces were sung and men from each branch stood up with pride! My six year old little boy beamed with excitement as he witnessed real live soldiers.

The program came and went and my boys and I spent the rest of the day living "small town style"!
Riding in an Ambulance is fun, but..............................

a Firetruck tops all!

Swimming all day is great, but........................

Drying off on hot cement tops all!

Going to the town races with cousins is great, but...................

The free candy you get after your race is better, but...............

Actually winning the race and getting a dollar, tops all!

Four wheeler rides are great but drinking from a moutain spring over a cow trough is not better just gross!

Catching grass hoppers is on the top of my boys list but....................

Catching a snake makes the list seem cheesy!

Digging in the dirt is super fun, but..........................

Dad's firework show at the end of the day, tops all!

Small Town living is mighty fine but...................
Living in the USA tops all! Happy 4th of July!

10 comments:

Vanessa said...

Looks like fun!

My parents have a place in Pine Valley. So when we get to Enterprise, we turn left to get there. We are headed down on the 24th!

Brain Balance Mom said...

I am exhausted just looking at your pictures! It looks like you had a lot of fun. Hope to see you soon!
ps. you look like a supermodel in these pictures. you are absolutely beautiful.

Julie said...

My and Tige's graduating class in Monticello had 53 people, so we can certainly relate to your post. Looks like a great weekend.

tsroybal said...

I love reading your blogs. Your personality that I remember so much comes out in each one. Thanks for sharing Shem.

Shelly said...

Did you see the cute little lady that dances in her wheel chair to the tunes of the string band? That is what I go to the programs for!!!

Unknown said...

From one small town girl to another, Happy 4th to you, too!! Looks like a fun day! Those Brackens know how to party! Hope you are havin a good day! Take a nap- you've been on the fun wagon for a long time!! Love you, my little American. (I just had a little memory. Do you remember the fireworks in Albany? Where were we? So long ago. We're kinda old)... Thanks for sharin'! SHAN

Riss said...

Totally agree. The national anthem gives me the vapors. You don't see people loving the USA like you used to. Glad I'm not the only one.

The Christians said...

Jakey is getting so big. He looks so different to me in these pictures. I am excited to see you guys!

jcwoods said...

I love reading your posts. You have a way with words. You should be a writer:) I don't think there is much difference celebrating in Enterprise than in Salina. Good times!

Riss said...

Your boys are getting so big. I don't think they will think you are checking me out but they will wonder what the inside joke is. Excepte maybe Vanessa - she might remember.