Tuesday, February 22, 2011

We finally figured it out.....

Jake is in 2nd grade this year with a wonderful teacher named Mrs. Gardner.  I actually requested her to be Jake's teacher because (1) I heard she was great, (2) Her parents are in our ward and we love them, (3) Jake loved the fact that she had a snake in her classroom. 

So with that background information here goes the story.............

When I dropped Jake off for school on the first day, Mrs. Gardner looked so familiar to me.  She was nice and friendly and I just felt like I knew her somehow.  Six months came and went  and I helped out a bit here and there in the classroom and still Mrs. Gardner looked like somebody I must know, I just couldn't put my finger on it.  Although I wondered, I didn't think anything of it until this Valentine's Day!  

Valentine's Day  2011 I found myself in Jake's classroom decorating pink sugar cookies and observing what 2nd graders do best, talking loudly, being crazy and stinkin up the place.  I had no idea little 2nd graders could be so cute and smelly at the same time!  As the class was working on projects I enjoyed visiting with Mrs. Gardner.  The conversation somehow went back to my redneck upbringing in Price UT even better my redneck upbringing in the Metropolis of Wellington UT.  I think just admitting you are from Wellington automatically puts you in some hillbilly category.  Imagine my surprise when Mrs. Gardner told me she knew where Price was and met her husband there and taught school there. I asked her which school she taught at and the pieces began to unravel.  She mentioned that the school she taught at was not even there anymore, I interjected with Durrant Elementary.  She then asked my maiden name and told me she remembered having a Shemri in her class and suddenly the light bulb was glowing and I began to remember my cute, red-headed, little 3rd grade teacher named Mrs. Gardner.  

Ha Ha!  (This is not a laugh - this is the sound my mind makes when I figure something out)!   Jake's 2nd grade teacher in NV just happened to be my 3rd grade teacher in UT.  Small world, I know!  The memories started flooding back and I can't believe that almost 28 years later I have met Mrs. Gardner again.   The sad part of the story is that I am old and she still looks just like cute Mrs. Gardner.  

2011

Funnier yet, is that Jake looks like me without the long hair.  
Funnier even yet is the boy on the 4th row down named Chaz was the boy I knew I would marry because he loved snoopy and I knew it was meant to be!  

Sorry Chaz, I outgrew my Snoopy phase!

Still even funnier (is this a word?) is that I am in both of the pictures down below and I remembered being shy and quiet in 3rd grade, guess not!

Somewhere in the 80's!

6 comments:

Mary said...

That is a very funny story!! I can't believe how much Jake looks like you. LOL

Slack Pack said...

That has got to be the craziest story I have ever heard!! Right out of an episode of Twilight Zone!

Elizabeth said...

That makes me laugh... I'm a former Durrant Dragon myself, but Mrs. Gardner must have been gone by the time I came through. I don't remember her either.

Shelly said...

I have always thought Jake looked JUST like the Brackens...UNTIL I saw this picture!! He looks A LOT like you! That is a hilarious story too. The teacher looks almost the exact same.

Unknown said...

That is Crazy! Cool story!!

Denette said...

That is soooo funny. When I first read the post I thought, how could you not know who she was if you had had her for a teacher. Then I tried to name my teachers in Elementary. Nope, couldn't do it.