Lessons from traveling!
Traveling at Christmas Time is magical because I think people appear to be so "happy", I've heard just the opposite, but I don't believe it....I sense "happiness". The experiences we had in Hawaii at Christmas time made for amazing learning opportunities for all of us!
For example.....
Traveling with a 9 yr old who thinks he is a gangster teenager makes traveling interesting
On the other hand traveling with a four year old who marvels at the fact that he is flying in the clouds is the most amazing thing in the world. All the excitement created from flying, naturally sedated him and he slipped into dream land for a good portion of the flight. I wish for a minute I had a 4 yr old mind just to experience everything new for the first time.
Having these two as tour guides and activity planners are a must have, I owe that hubby of mine a big thanks for making life so fun!
Having a house on the beach vs a hotel makes life on vacation perfect for a family!
Jammies + Swim Trunks + big stick makes 6Am seem manageable.
Breakfast on the veranda can only get better by listening to the ocean in the background and knowing that breakfast is donughts and sugar cereal, topped with chocolate milk! (No wonder my kids would not listen)!
Most good parents don't take their kids out of school for a week for travel but I think the world is for discovery..............
LET ME SHARE WITH YOU WHAT WE LEARNED JUST ON THE 1ST DAY!
Grandma explained waves and tide pull - maybe even discussed palm trees???
Jake and Braden got a lesson about wind and botany! (Have you ever been hit up side the head with a big leaf? You would learn the lesson as well!)
What better subject for Science then to study and gather a darling family of slugs and snails living on the grounds of the Hawaii Temple?
The study of how animals are resurrected might be advanced Science but we did indeed witness a miracle (great lesson the kids will never forget)!
Observation 1 - Birds should not fly full speed into a glass window!
Observation 2 - Even when hope is lost - love and tender care may help bring a stunned bird back to life and even heal it's wing!
Observation 3 - Send the bird on it's merry way, miracles still happen! (The kids thought this was one of the greatest events in Hawaii even though it could have happened in Mesquite the magic of it was in Hawaii, therefore blog worthy).
Lesson learned - family pictures are sad without Layla but 7 hrs on a plane was beautiful without a 1 yr old who doesn't understand holding still or quiet time!
Off to the Polynesian Cultural Center - my favorite part of the trip!
Rand wished she was part of our tour,
Or the Tahiti girls, (they could shake it with the best of them)
Lesson learned, Jake can dance just like a Tongan, I only wished I could dance like the Tongans and lastly I think we all should have been born Polynesian!
Defensive arts were next on our teaching curriculum and I mastered the spear chucking part of it!
As did the boys!
Pretty sure Rand thinks he is Polynesian!
So does Jake!
So does BMan!
Lesson learned - I think the island of Tonga would be a great destination for next year! (Wink - Wink)
Brady Bug learning to "Hang Loose" like a pro!
So many lessons to be learned so little time - and all in one day! Whew! What did we learn on day 2?
1 comment:
i'm so stinkin jealous!!! looks like you guys had a blast :)
Post a Comment