Just ask Jake and Rand!
A month ago, the gym where Rand and I do Cross Fit (I should say used to do cross fit, we are currently taking a hiatus) hosted a 10k, 5k and 1 mile race...or so we thought!
Rand and Jake agreed it was the perfect way to spend a Saturday morning so Jake signed up for the 1 miler and Rand for the 5K. Braden, Layla and I chose to be great supporters on the side lines. Jake's course was away from the rest of the races and on a main road (me being Nervous Nelly decided I better follow him along in the car) all he knew is that we were there just to keep cheering him on!
"The Guys" ready for action!
This race taught Jake that he must indeed set his sights higher than he is comfortable with! He easily ran the mile and took 1st place.
Rand's lesson came next...... Rand wanted to enjoy himself and so he chose the 5k over the 10K. The volunteers at the check point messed up on where the turnaround point was and so little did Rand know or the race officials that the course had been changed. This 5k actually ended up being just over 5 miles instead of the regular 3.1 (standard 5K)! I had been prepped almost down to the minute when to expect Rand, so as the minutes passed by I started to wonder if my mighty man was not so mighty! A few high school cross country kids came in and then way off in the distance we spotted our fearless runner.
Jake was at the finish line with Gatorade in hand to cheer on his dad!
Rand did quite well considering he ran a little over 2 miles more than he had expected, proving to himself that you can always push a little harder. I think he will sign up for the 10K next month and Jake for the 5K!
Can't think of a better way to spend a Saturday morning, guess I will get my lazy butt going and sign up for the 1 mile race at least!
2 comments:
47 minutes for a 5k? Look on the bright side - it should be easy to improve on that time. :)
For the record, I did read the story. And I heard it from Rand. The first comment was only a joke - thus the dorky little smiley face.
Post a Comment