I am a mom, I love being a mom!
I love that I wake up every day with my own agenda and my own plan. Of course I meant to say I have a plan but my kids usually change it first thing,
but....
I don't answer to a boss and I like it that way.
With this being said I am also a woman with many interests. I sometimes forget that I find life so interesting beyond preschool, Barbies, Princesses and all my kids sporting events. I used to be a fairly exciting person ( I think), I dabbled here and there in many different ares. I loved talking with Rand about my job and the places I desired to travel and the things I wanted to learn. I really thought I would would be speaking languages by now and have my masters degree finished but guess what, I don't. In fact the only learning I did this morning was taught by a 3 yr old telling me that I colored outside of the lines on her frog picture. I speak English poorly, I finished my degree but never started on a masters and sometimes my travel includes only trips to St. George,
HOWEVER....
It works for me at this time in my life! My mom once told me that this time at home with my kids would pass so fast. I really couldn't fathom that fact at the time she told me because I was simultaneously scrubbing Sharpie off the wall to no avail. But it has passed fast, too fast indeed. With age comes wisdom and I have definitely aged, (a look into my bathroom drawers filled to the brim with anti aging, anti wrinkle cream will prove that) but with that small part of wisdom I have acquired I realize I have finally found peace with the idea that I am not putting something off but doing something that I WANT to do. WANT is the key word here, I want to be doing just what I am doing and I am so thankful and blessed that I can. The lesson I learned is that I always have enjoyed being able to stay at home but my fragile ego was searching for validation in the job I was and am doing. I forgot that validation has come in many forms but not in completed projects or by co workers and employers. My accomplishments are constantly being measured by hugs, kisses, good report cards, smiles, loud noises coming from the piano and sometimes angry words from a child who completely believes life is not fair!
Guess what else being a mom affords me the chance to do? It allows me to sometimes take a break, step away for a few days and recharge as I spend some time with beautiful friends. Other beautiful mothers who share their strengths, their wisdom and their hilarious personalities with a simple girl like me.
Let me give you an example,
This is truly one of the most fantastic people I know!
Her name is Deb and I love her.
She is brilliant, creative, intelligent, witty to the core and every other attribute I would want she has.
She has the ability to make lasting friendships and bond people together.
I met her many moons ago under the hot Australian sun. Her and I were missionary companions and I think if I only served a mission to meet her, it would have been worth it.
Deb decided that she wanted to gather her friends from all the different times in her life and have them meet each other. She sent out gorgeous gold boxes with delicate invitations in them with an invite to the Oregon Coast to be "lifted". I couldn't wait for this experience and made all the arrangements for kids and carpool and all the other mom things. (Little plug here for my hubby who encourages me to do these things and is willing to coordinate schedules, flights and all the other details that my sometimes yellow personality forgets.)
I have to admit I was a little intimidated to spend three days with girls I had never met before but put aside my "comfort zone" for an experience I knew I would love.
Let me give you a low down on the women who came.
Two College roommates
1 Nail Tech
1 LDS Seminary Principal (1st one ever)
1 Natural Healer (Raki)
1 Road biker - most organized person ever
1 Life Coach
1 Massage Girl
1 Event Planner (I am talking the big wigs event planner, like private jets to Africa sort of thing)
1 Granola (lives in a community that raises all their own produce and meat)
2 Stay at home mom's (1 a sports nut)
1 Jewelry Maker / Artist
1Person who is responsible for Fresh Water in villages in Haiti
1 Social Worker
1 Registered Nurse
2 pre teen boys (Deb's kids)
oh and me!
We talked we laughed, we ate (really healthy yummy food) all prepared by us, for us and cleaned up by us. Deb impressed me with our work charts, making the weekend seem so nice and organized. We had focus groups, personality tests, and each woman shared a presentation on something they were passionate about. I now can meditate, have my energy read, be a better mother, cook healthy meals, save Haitian children, write in a journal, make jewelry, have cute nails and the list goes on and on.
Deb even had us sit in the "love chair"!
To say the least I was "lifted" my interests were perked, my desires to learn were heightened and I enjoyed every moment of it.
This picture was taken early on the morning of departure.
Kristi -Deb-Merinda
Valerie - Amy -Audrey
Amy - Ashley-Nate - Deb-Annette-Kristi-Joselyn-Valerie-Audrey
And just when I thought things could not get any better, Deb surprised us with a hot air balloon over beautiful Oregon. We pulled an all nighter and drove to get there (something I haven't done since college) and I loved, loved, loved it.
After not going to sleep that night we saw the sun rise in a hot air balloon.
(This is a tired but happy, happy me).
As part of our therapy, Deb bought us all scarves and glasses and made us take a ride in her hot little convertible. May I add that if I could crank my music and drive the Oregon Coast every day in a mini cooper, I would be pretty near close to giddy!
Biggest trial for me on the trip was this meal - Looks like chicken is not chicken, is some kind of ground up almond thing and of all the yummy healthy food we ate this was not one of them.
I will not be eating Tofu Almond Powder chicken any time soon.
Amy, when I think of you, I will always think of this story!
One Ear - One Finger - No teeth
Invaluable way to shred chicken - just another little take away from this great trip.
Can you make cherry chocolates, because I can!
(I also can see with my hair covering my eye)
Jocelyn - Phyllis
We ate so well, I had to take a walk even in the rain...
With lots of stops for laughs along the way!
And we walked some more, this time the beach...
and then we would eat some more!
The view from my room!
Not too shabby!
Deb, you are generous and lovely and kind, thank you from the bottom of my heart for being so amazing and for a wonderful trip. Could not have been better!
(Don't hate me cause I got you without your makeup)
Until next year!

















3 comments:
You really should plan something like this for us, I'll help and we can do it cheaper. I am so glad you had a great time. You deserve it! You are amazing!
You are gorgeous. I think all the girl cousins should do this. :D
Amazing! You are beautiful!
Post a Comment