Monday, August 18, 2014

San Diego Here we Come!

Headed to San Diego with these three is like heading into the eye of a hurricane.  
I prepare myself mentally for the storm and try to remain patient as I sit in my bubble (cellar) knowing that this will soon past.  That's how I feel about most car rides over 4 hours.  I know that the final destination is a happy place with smiles and love but the journey  is bumpy with a little car sickness (throw up), whining, hunger pains, fighting and "it's not fair".. Don't forget... "turn the music up, change the station, let's play 20 questions and are we there yet" dialogue. 


They look so perfectly innocent don't you think?


But alas, we arrive!  We don't even bother checking in to the hotel  because the beach was calling our names.  There were waves to jump, crabs to find, and people to watch!



What's that you say?
Layla has adopted hearing impaired as her signature pose.

Part of beach fun for me is watching people.  And I am so sorry to whoever this photo bomber all decked out in scuba gear is in the background but she provided me 15 minutes of pure entertainment.  She never really even made it in the water but I laughed and laughed at each attempt.


My photo bomber with her flipper extended from her hand for some reason kept reminding me of this other photo bomber on the left side of the coast. 



Sometimes I have to remind myself that I suffer through car rides to see the joy of a 6 year old when he catches a crab under an old sea bridge....

or,
a little girls squeal of delights when her daddy turns her into a mermaid!


or,
when she fills her bucket up to the brim of sea weed and tells us she has found so many 
"sea pickles"!


or, 
when the almost 12 year old forgets for a moment that he is trying to be cool and finds laughter and fun in climbing a sea cave.

On day one of our trip I learned that sea lions have to be about the stinkiest animal on the planet.  I also learned that momma sea lions are one mammal I choose not to mess with.





Day 2 
Moments like this make me crazy!  
When I say, "this will just take a minute if you all just smile"  my kids hear, "mom needs us to run around, act crazy and pause just long enough for her to get a blurry picture"!  I guess with the blurry picture I get an actual display of their true personalities.  So should I say it drives me crazy or should I embrace the originality of my family and forever be so thankful that they are fun, quirky, healthy kids!  
I think I know what to choose!




Who ever said vacations can't go hand in hand with learning!

We took the tour we learned the facts and we are so proud to live in America and support the Air Force and Navy!









They even earned their own wings at the end of it all.  Layla made sure to tell us they earned their wings (not the kind you eat) on a ship that doesn't sail.  Love that crazy girl!


I didn't earn my wings but I earned my 
reenactment of this...


It was fun!
(Parents are so gross - I love "grossing out the kids")

Day 3  
What's a trip to San Diego without a trip to the zoo!  We love the zoo, let me clarify... I love the zoo and Rand, Jake and even Layla  use the zoo as a scouting trip for all the animals they will potentially one day hunt.   But not the flamingos because they are pink (according to Layla) and Braden will only ever hunt mean animals.  As for me I will stick to the camera!







Seems about right Jake!


Oh Lu Lu! What ever will we do with you?    



This was by far the cutest animal in the entire zoo, don't you think so?




All the kids wanted to know why that turtle was hurting the other turtle?  Jake just smiled and Layla and Braden just watched in amazement at the "wrestling" turtles.  I told Rand that it was inappropriate to take a picture  I may have even slapped him but then I regressed as well when I posted this picture on my blog!  




 Day 4
Oh the beach!  I have a funny relationship with the beach I love to be there I love to watch my kids but there is nothing that says, "enter cold salty water and have a good time".  Does that mean I really like the beach or that I just really hate being cold and wet?  Hmm!

My kids on the other hand live to be in the water!










What more can I ask for then to spend time with this amazing family!
It makes me want to jump for joy too!

 

2 comments:

Advice from Ordinary People Flourishing Together said...

Shem that is fun! I love your kids.

The Christians said...

Fun post, beautiful pictures, you need to go to the east coast beaches, they are nice and warm.