Monday, December 29, 2014

Oh Jakey Boy!



Turning 12 in September meant hunting in October for this tween!
For him this was monumental..... his first deer hunt where he actually could spot, aim and fire.
..................................
There were a few obstacles that stood in our way of making this a great hunt but we overcame and had a great weekend.  
Obstacle 1 - Rand's call schedule has changed so much it was a hard for him to find  a few days in a row to hunt.  Luckily for him he was very familiar with the area and he knew which mountain he wanted to be on come opening morning. (I say lucky but I have an inkling that he would of found some time somewhere. Wink Wink)
Obstacle #2
I had just had surgery and was not feeling well so we were debating whether or not to take the whole family. (Crazy story to come about this later)
Obstacle #3
Headed out from Enterprise and realized that the 4 wheeler trailer had a flat tire.
Obstacle #4
I had to drive a separate truck and pull the trailer.
(I hate pulling anything)
Obstacle #5
Jake is completely allergic to deer hair.  It has been tested 3 times and each time the symptoms have worsened.  
We realized this boy + deer hair will eventually = anaphylactic shock! 

JAKE WILL NOW MAKE HE DEBUT ON MY BLOG BY TYPING HIS OWN HUNTING STORY!  (I didn't edit in any way including run on sentences..eek)  


JAKE'S TURN!!

Well it was opening morning and the air was filled with excitement. Me and my dad were up at about 5 O'clock in the morning and we were ready to go. We left in the truck at about 5:25 and headed up to the "secret spot". At the "secret spot" we saw a ton of footprints and there were already 4-wheelers there and we said to each other, " Well we sure as heck aren't the first ones here!" But we weren't very discouraged. We headed up the mountain and the first mile we saw a ton of footprints! The second mile there was still a lot of footprints. The third, some footprints. The fourth there was almost no sign of footprints, and the Fifth, all there was were some horse tracks. About half way into the fifth mile my dad and I saw a pine tree with some pine nut burrs on it and we stopped and took a rest while we ate some pine nuts. then we saw another tree and headed over to it and another, and another, and another until we were about 100 yards from were we dropped the bags and gun. we had completely stopped thinking about the gun because we hadn't seen anything and then i was about to go into this little cave when my dad starts whispering "FOUR POINT, FOUR POINT JAKE, FOUR POINT! So we booked it back to our bags and the gun and then after we had grabbed those booked it back to the little rock outcropping and cave.  I hurried and set up and the crosshairs were right where they needed to be when the deer bedded down then about five minutes later he got up. As soon as he got up I shot him. It was a horrible shot and it went right through the gut sack. Dad was still telling me to shoot so i pulled the crosshairs on him and fired again. This time it went just above his back. The deer still hadn't gone down so I fired again! This time it dropped him like a sack of potatoes! We both started celebrating and high fivin' when dad looked up and said" Hey Jake, there's another deer over there. Hey, Jake, that IS your deer!!! Jake set up it's your deer!!! So I set up and fired. This time he stayed down. Then we had to look for him for half an hour because he fell into a tree but then, and only then could we celebrate! We got these really cool pictures below:

(Jake only touched the antlers and still had a slight reaction - Rand was equipped with Benadryl and after two pills Jake's lips finally stopped tingling.)





Poor hubby, strong hubby!
Due to Jake's allergy Rand had to pack out all of the meat and the head.  His amazing effort was rewarded by an amazing back ache.


I recruited Ali to keep me company in camp and the boys, Braden and Layla had a blast!




I could watch kids play outside all day. 
 There is something about kids, outdoors and imagination that makes me smile.  

Layla's big find of the day.....her ninja star!




Love this pony tailing, dirty faced little girl.


 Nice hat Timmy!

What a fun hunt!


No comments: