Monday, June 29, 2015

I didn't know.........

That when I married Rand many moons ago that he would become an avid runner.  I knew he ran cross country in high school but deep down inside I thought it was because of the girl he was dating at the time.  I underestimated the man who likes to push himself and accomplish something just to prove that he can.  His running is "catchy" and his love of running is being transferred to his kids and soon I will belong to a "running family". 

This poses a problem...
a good problem but a problem none-the-less.

I hate running, I don't just kind of hate it but really dislike it more than I dislike a lot of other things.  I do run occasionally but I don't have the mental willpower to get to the point where I actually push myself hard enough to enjoy it.  It's always just miserable!  I wonder what this says about my personality that I am not willing to push myself.  Hmm... that is another blog entry.
But,
I really love that Rand loves to run and I hope because of his example we will have fit children who follow in his footsteps (literally).  Even though I will probably end up dying of cardiovascular, lazy disease on the sidelines, I will be cheering them from my lawn chair for as many races as their little hearts care to run.  

Rand thinks he is going to run the marathon this year so this was a race in the St. George Runner Series he had to get out of the way so that he can be put in for the lottery.   (He is in the marathon by the way).  We made sure we went bright and early and secured our places near the finish line to show our "daddy" support.


Next came the Las Vegas Spartan - Fun little family trip where I got to hang with  strong, bearded men as they got ready for some "hot running".  It was really hot, did I mention that?  When the uncles come so do the laughs and we had lots of laughs.  Sometimes Rand's brothers just make me smile remembering some of the things they say.  

Ready for the big day and believe me if I were not there to support the bearded men, who would have taken all these nice pictures.  There may be a place for me in racing after all.  



The kids ran in different heats and followed this "hot guy" out on the trail.  Of course by "hot guy" I mean the race pacer in the hot temperatures that was the Las Vegas Spartan.  Just saying I didn't even notice if he was handsome but I do remember thinking that I should definitely become a runner.


Not that I didn't think Jake would do well but he surprised me by giving it his all. He rocked it like a  Spartan Racer should.  He was an animal out there.




I knew BMan would give it his all and this little kid fought through a side ache without letting it slow him down a bit.  He was a top competitor in his entire heat.


Miss Prissy surprised us all when she jumped right in the mud, she later informed us that this was her favorite part.  She also told me that she just had to win because it was in her heart to win.  Love this girly "killer competitor"!








Soon it was time for these bad boys of Enterprise Utah to show those rocky, sandy hot trails who was boss.



Dallin killed the rope climb,
and..........


Mikey and Rand did Burpees.
( I must add there were only a couple of times that the men couldn't complete the task and opted out with burpees.)  I detest Burpees just in case you were wondering.  





These boys ran, climbed, carried, dove, threw spears and TOTALLY impressed me.
I will be your photographer any day or night.  
Great job Family!


No comments: