Spring Break means parties and beaches and craziness, right?
For my cute little family of four minus my darling little hubby who was working tirelessly for our family .. Spring break meant a visit in a Northeastward direction.
I gathered up the little Brackens and drove....
As I travel with my kiddos I am starting to realize that we have arrived. (Not that I didn't love my littles when they were smaller). But after many years of toddlers and little ones I am noticing - no more diapers, strollers or portable cribs. Everyone packs their own bags, treats and entertainment. Without Rand by my side this Spring Break I took over as pilot and Jake became co-captain. I love having him in the front even though he consistanly fights me over the radio. We usually don't agree on music and he is annoyed when I really get my groove on. Sometimes we settle on Laugh USA and I sit back and revel in his laugh being careful not to look at him for too long. A long stare will soon have him changing the channel and I will be on the receiving end of an irritated, dirty look. I keep my questions short and simple, never asking anything too personal and I find myself probing for information in a way that mimics the attitude of I don't really care whatever the answer may be. I often find myself wondering where my darling little 5, 6, 7 year old Jake went, the one with the big blue curious eyes. The same little boy who talked my ear off and asked me every question under the sun. The little boy that knew about airplanes and clouds and the reason why African Wild Dogs were going extinct. Melancholy overwhelms me and my memories are flooded with young Jake. I wonder where that little boy went and as I look in the back seat I seem to find him in an equally curious brown eyed 7 year old Braden. This tender hearted little man asks questions and is a thinker when the answer is given. He asks questions about Jesus and tells me that he isn't quite sure he understands everything. I sit and listen attentively as he excitedly explains to me that a Blackbird Jet cannot be touched after it has flown because it is as hot as an oven. He cannot hardly contain his excitement as he explains what a jumbo jet can do in the sky and how fast it can fly. He can properly identify every single car on the road and is determined he will have a Lamborgini one day. On the other side of the car sits the Queen in her purple and gray booster seat, she has clearly outgrown the booster seat but being 5 it seems too early to move here to a regular seat. Miss Layla sings loudly and off pitch as she colors and dreams about Barbies, ponies and princesses. Her world is all in her head and she talks to herself imagining the perfect place full of her made up creatures. Her mind never shuts off... she plans, creates and dreams and can entertain herself indefinetly.
I know this Tween phase for Jake will pass and he will be my non cocky, inquisitive Jake again, I know Braden will enter the stage where I will annoy him and Layla will soon be in the midst of drama that only girls can create. But as for now life lessons prove to me that the only thing consistent with these three kiddos is change. I want to try to enjoy each of their crazy phases so I don't look back wondering how life passed so quickly. (side note....Jake's current phase could end quickly and that would be ok with me.)
More things I love while road tripping with my kiddos:
The smiles on their faces when Grandpa says its movie time.
The ability to go to the zoo and for the most part we have proven that we can do it with only two or three fights.
Sincere smiles from a little diva who could ride the carousel all day long. Not pictured (but I also love the big brother who usually rides it with her so that mom does not throw up.)
Selfies with Jake
These two kiddos melt my heart and also make me a little crazy all at the same time.
Experiences with my kids are created as we toured the conference center with a man who just was released from prison. He had many questions and my kids were ready to answer them all. He left early to meet with his probation officer and I stopped to share with the kids how important the atonement was. Making sure that everyone gets a 2nd chance to do what's right.
( I was only scared a little when he asked us for a picture - I counter acted that with taking a picture right back)!

Layla got to shop till you drop with Grandma Cherri and the girls while the boys went hiking with Grandpa Don.
I loved traveling to Price to visit Grandma Bardsley and really, who can resist "popcorn popping on the apricot tree". Or in this case these trees that are probably not apricot.
Met up with Brooke and her kids in Price where we made the kiddos go to the mining museum. Funny thing ...
I think they enjoyed it way more than I ever did as a kid. Maybe it's because I don't make them read every sign like my mom did. We kind of make up the history as we go along.
Onto hiking and the "white lady" up Spring Canyon. It's amazing how much you can scare a group of kids in broad daylight.
I delight in the fear of others.
he he
Last but not least I love the smile on this little man's face when we meet up with dad again and dad understand the desires of his heart.
Braden is to cool cars as I am to chocolate!
Pure bliss!
So glad my life is an adventure!


















No comments:
Post a Comment