Thursday, November 10, 2016

When it's rough, hang on!

Our life has always been full of adventure.  I attribute most of that to a husband who doesn't like to sit still.  I knew it from the moment I met him that our lives (if we ended up together) would be full of fun.  In fact, one of the things that attracted me to him was one event after the next planned and carried out by Mr. B himself, (it certainly was not his parted side hair and tapered jeans...hee, hee).  From tractor rides, midnight deer spotlighting (that sometimes turned into canoodling ;) ),  trips across the border into Mexico, leaf shaking in the National Parks and more.  One thing our adventurous life has taught me is that when life takes you on a ride you either enjoy the tranquility or hang on tight until the calmness returns.

How fun that we are living this crazy thing called life together!

My new favorite place in the world  is Glacier National Park.  Hands down one of the places,  that the Creator took a little more time with in the overall designing of things.  A place to rejuvenate the soul, mind and body!  
Also a place to hang on tight and smile until it hurts.





Living in the North West is providing us with new uncharted territory to explore.  We intend to fully embrace that "explorer mantra" and take full advantage of the fact that even though it's closer to drive to Alaska than to drive home... we don't know how long we will be here! With the ending unknown we intend to make the best of this opportunity until this opportunity runs it's course.

Is it scary to think that a tree this big that has been planted for so long can topple over in a storm.   I feel this is a metaphor for life as sometimes I feel that I have merely toppled over and am waiting to be turned into something different, never the same again but with every option to be something better.  
Wowzer, kind of deep for a picture of a kid on a dead tree!


Maybe I should say something here like....... life is full of scary things and the unknown, but we have to take that leap of faith and cross that bridge to see what's on the other side.  We can't be paralyzed by fear only motivated. 
Adventure parallels life lessons.  





This family was born through the most amazing of experiences.  This family has issues, it has days when we're plunged deep under the water but we also have moments where we rise above the waves and sail on smooth waters.  This day was a sail on smooth waters!  Or at least the part of it until Jake left the expensive camera on the picnic table and we only realized it after two hours of driving away from it.  This experience however did lend itself to my sweet Braden telling us to calm down, say a prayer and turn around.  (He became the calm that day).  We drove the long winding road back, approached a park ranger who hours earlier had just happened upon our camera and was about to leave the park when we spotted her.  She took me right over to her car, handed me a camera and I was left in awe of a little boy's prayer.  The crazy waves and our hot tempers soon diminished and we were ready to set sail for new horizons once again.  A story to remember for sure, I especially like the part where Rand and I yelled and Jake's shirt was ripped right in front of my in laws.  That part was one of our families finest moments.  Thank goodness we always end up smiling.  


They ended up smiling too, and may have forgiven us for our faults.




Jake has had a very trying year and so a picture like this makes me have hope that maybe we can make it.  Maybe he can make it through this rough patch.  We climbed 10 miles together that day and ran 5 of it back.  He quickly passed Rand and I and I was left to wonder if he really would make it back down the mountain without being eaten by a bear or attacked by a moose (we saw both on that trail).  Well he made it through some obstacles and met us down at the bottom.  I hope that this rough year of his life was just a "bear" or a "moose" he had to get past.  I pray that he will return to the starting point safely and be ready for a new adventure.  Cause we really love this kid!


And this kid!


And these kids!


I love this picture for so many reasons, I love that Layla thinks on a creative plain that is unique to anyone I have ever met.  I have never met someone more creative and full of imagination than this young lady.  She creates from the moment she wakes up to the moment her eyes finally close and her mind can stop thinking long enough to allow her sleep.  I love that she stops to admire a field of yellow flowers just like I would.  
Yellow makes the world just a little more happy, don't you think?




BMAN
The tender hearted, got to figure everything out, sweet, teasing little guy.  
I wish I could describe Braden the way this picture does.  He makes sure I am always ok but barely hanging on just to prove he is also independent.  Also, to allow him a quick escape incase there is someone to tease near by.  



Some of the things that make Glacier Beautiful!





The "chipmunk whisperer"









My Happy Place
My man, a mountain and an elbow pose that makes me look a few pounds smaller.  







Oh CANADA!

Oh why don't I live in a house that looks like this?
Oh why can't every day be a hat day?
Some of Glacier is in Canada - I think passports are cool.
I think this strangled hold around Braden's neck in front of a mysterious old hotel looks like an advertisement for a horror flick.  I think I could write a good one.




When I look at places like this lake that is half in Canada and halfway in America  I want to meet the maker.  I want to spy into his creative soul and learn from his wisdom.  I want to believe that everything will be ok...because, really the beauty such as this, could not come from anyone who did not have the attributes of perfection.  


Ended our trip with a trip to the Cardston Canada Temple.  Perfect ending to a great trip.  Knowing that we can always be together, always overcome our weaknesses and always have the opportunity to change and improve could not be a better message of hope.



4 comments:

The Christians said...

I love that randomly checked your blog for the first time in a long time. You should let me know when you post, fun to read!

The Christians said...

I love love this post by the way. It does my soul good to read it,my deep, funny, wonderful sister.

Heather said...

Looks like a great trip! I hope Jake's life gets a bit easier for him. I think you're awesome!!

Advice from Ordinary People Flourishing Together said...

Shem, I am so glad that you are posting again so we can see all the cool things that you are seeing. Those baby goats were awesome. I also love that I can learn from your many words of wisdom. I love ya.