Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Am I a crazy cat lady?


I have a feeling this could get long so if you venture on...grab a snack!

So I have been in a funk lately! You may ask what does this mean? I don't really know and I guess that is why it is hard trying to get out of it. I hope by admitting this you don't feel that I have gone crazy, lost my mind or have entered a stage of deep and utter depression. It is simply a "weird rut in the road of life". I thought I would explain the feelings I've been having and maybe someone can offer advice.

#1
I have been trying to eat healthier lately, now if you have ever done this you may wonder why I would even bother it is to hard! I have really wanted to revamp our little family's eating habits and have been experimenting with some "healthy recipes". Like with any experiment you must receive feedback in order to come to any conclusions. Let me give you an example.....

I made zucchini bread - ( I must add that I am usually a pretty lousy cook but when it comes to baking I have had no complaints). I changed the recipe a bit and put things like whole wheat, applesauce, egg whites, lemon juice and way less sugar. Here is the feedback I received....

Rand - "I don't really want to try it."
Shemri - "please just try it!"
Rand - "It taste kind of gritty, is it supposed to?"

Jake - "There is no way in the world I will try that". (For him I even called it spice cake)

Braden - May I just add that my little guy loves Banana Bread and Zucchini bread.
Braden -"yucky banana cake Mommy - spit out"!

With the feedback received I must conclude that I should continue feeding my family white sugar, oil and whole eggs! Well you can't say I never tried.

#2 My hubby has been very preoccupied with Elk Hunting... well any kind of hunting that involves the killing of innocent animals. I am not an animal rights activist by any means but really aren't they so much prettier out in the hills? His obsession has run over and flooded the minds of both my boys which means we have a lot of hunting shows to watch, lots of shooting games to play and just a lot of testosterone floating freely through my home. I must say that Fall is my favorite time of year and I spent every Fall growing up hunting with my family.. well, me hiking around the gorgeous scenery and feeling sentimental about the poor deer being chased by men in orange. I love everything about Fall - I love the smells, the weather, the "hunting", the football, the back to school excitement and the anticipation of the holidays. This leads me into another reason for my little rut I am in.... The weather in Mesquite is still in the high 90 -100's, the yummy Fall foods smell like flax seed and whole grain and back to school means Jake is owned by Clark County school District.

#3 I had a birthday recently and I suddenly find myself not so young. Not so old, but definitely not so young anymore. I am super thankful for my health and my crazy yet amazing family but... I guess I didn't really want to be 34 - I just really liked being 30 that seemd like an ok number to me. Thirty four just sounds like I should be distinguished but I still feel more like a fun loving blonde. Rand was elk hunting on my birthday (Rand will think I put this in here just to make him feel guilty, I have no intentions of doing so.... I am simply just stating the facts that led me to calling some lovely women in for a birthday back up plan). I took the opportunity for lots of girl time while the men were running around the mountain with bearded faces and eating trail mix that mice probably sampled while they were fast asleep. I got together with my mom, sisters, aunt and cousin. We shopped all day (even though my sisters would have been happier on the mountain being all rugged and stuff), ate yummy food (not the low fat kind) and laughed and decorated and laughed and just felt happy being apart of one big estrogen posse.

#4 I think this part of my crazy feelings come from both of my boys having their birthdays. My little Jakey and Braden are growing up and although I am very accepting of this change and even look forward to the fun it brings, I feel a little melancholy. Jake does not really love to be snuggled anymore and even if he did... he is so huge, he doesn't fit on my lap and Braden just wants to be big like Jakey. On the other hand both of my boys are healthy, smart and have a great sense of humor. I should also add that I am thankful that I have a sense of humor because Braden is full on entering the terrible two's which seem much funnier to me then when Jake entered them. Jake is still very inquisitive and loves to learn. Just the other day he asked me why there were cardboard shaped cylinders with the name TAMPAX in the bathroom and what in the world are they used for. I simply said they were to help clean the bathroom toilets and not to worry about them. See, I do have a sense of humor too!

#5 Wow, just writing this I have declared my "weird funk" over......look at all the great things in my life. Guess I am cured! I will now go make some yummy sugar cookies with lots of frosting, burn my holiday spice candle put on some jeans ignoring the searing heat and rock out to my new Taylor Swift CD with Braden while I go pick up Jake from school and listen to how exciting his day was.

Whew! Thanks for listening to the rant, it's amazing how really "unweird" your life seems when you write it down! Thanks!

10 comments:

Dave Harris Family said...

You are awesome!! I love the explanation on what TAMPAX are for! I hope you don't mind if I use that same excuse when I am asked. Reading your post has made me get excited for the fall and the holidays!!

Team Bracken said...

You know, you don't have to claim your age....I'm still 28! (It just has a lot of anniversaries!). Even though we are far away, I too have had the elk hunting blues. As soon as Dallin heard everyone was out at Indian Peak, he put some big hiking/hunting boots on and turned on the hunting shows.....It was like that all week! Miss you!

Me and The Boys said...

Way to FIGHT the FUNK! You have inspired me to get my fall candles out and make some MORE cinnamon rolls...and yes I may eat them all...come on the recipe only makes 18!

Mary said...

Shem I love you!! I love reading your post because you are not afraid to put everything out there. Your story about the TAMPAX reminds me of one of my friends. She told her son that they were a bandaid for mommy's. One day their were some friends over and she cut her finger, her son ran and got a TAMPAX for her and said "Here mom, a bandaid for you". LOL

I think that we all get in funks from time to time. The thing that helps me is to sit and write in my gratitude journal. It really does help to stop and think of all the things you have to be grateful for and just how much you have.

And by the way if you are old than so am I. After all we are the same age!!

Unknown said...

You are an amazing woman, Shem! Just reading yours makes me thankful for every day I have, eventhough sometimes it seems monotonous. I wouldn't change being home and being a mom! It's okay to have ruts sometimes I guess. I have them too!

Riss said...

34 sucks because it makes you in your mid thirties. You know what is next. I don't feel 34. I feel 2o again getting dolled up for dances and driving around eating blizzards so the guys next door wouldn't moo at us. Remember when we could eat a blizzard and not have to walk 50 miles to get it off? The hunting videos are never off at my house. In fact, if it makes you feel better, there is a climbing tree stand on my living room couch right now. Who knows how long it will be there? I hope Scott kills several innocent animals so I can fill my freezer with meat. By the way, anything with zucchini in it is gross. What were you thinking?

Julie said...

I turn 34 in about 7 weeks, so I feel your pain and know exactly what you mean. I've subbed applesauce for oil with my zucchini bread, and it's not too bad. Maybe just do one healthy sub at a time instead of 3 (and don't tell your boys you did it!)

Hope the rest of your week is good.

Heather said...

I have a solution: come visit me!

Unknown said...

Hey!
You are funny. I think you are 34 'cause you use words like "funk". J/k. I am just so sad that I don't live closer. Not that I could've cured your funk, but I would have no problems eating all your food creations. K- it's confirmed, girl's weekend SOON. Look over your schedule (or Rand's never ending schedule of killing things like Bambi's parents) and let me know what works. You may have to push me around in a wheelchair at the mall, but I think it'd be fantastic. Love you! SHAN

Threet family said...

Na, I still think your wierd! Just kidding.