Thursday, November 12, 2009

Time Out For Women

Last weekend my Mom, Rand's Mom, my sisters and their mom-in-laws, our friends and little ole' me attended a Time Out for Women. I find the title of the event ironic even as I type! Simply because I truly don't know if women get a real time out! Do they?

This event was held at the Dixie Center and went Friday night and all day Saturday there were some really great presenters my favorite being Hillary Weeks. We were entertained and spiritually fed as we discussed everything from parenting, to families, to the decline of the family and tough topics like pornography!

One thing that was taught that I am still thinking about was from Cheiko Ogasaki. She was a spunky 83 yr old who taught me, "to teach your children correct principles and then they can govern themselves." This "theory" still boggles my mind.....sure I can teach my boys correct principles but then what if, WHAT IF THEY don't govern themselves right? Then can I step in and turn into the crazy devil mom? I need this answered, if you have any thoughts let me know. She seemed to think it was really all quite simple!

Without rambling about everything I learned this weekend let me instead explain to you why I needed a time out for women!

Reason #1 Oldest and lovely child Jake! Jake has responsibility, he empties garbage's, unloads the dishwasher, etc. Jake also has personality and emptying the dishwasher can take an hour as dishes suddenly transform into forts and battle stations only to be invaded and destroyed by forces that attack in invisible ships but always leave the same end result. Dishes crashing to the floor! That's why most of my dishes are nappy plastic florescent ones.

Reason #2 Up until my Time out For Women the most current event at our house was the loss of Jake's bottom tooth. Not that I mind talking about "little veins that are full of blood and pop when I twist them around mom"! It is all exciting but I was craving a little bit of non kid stuff learning!


Reason #3 - 10
This little guy is such a joy in my life, with that being said a one day time out didn't seem to hurt either one of us.
Our little Bray Man is stubborn and he knows what he wants. The other day he came out of his room all dressed by himself and this is the outfit he wanted. This was a battle I chose to win by not going out that afternoon and he got to wear his lovely ensemble to play in the backyard.


Braden is innovative---just the other day he climbed on the counter to retrieve a brownie sealed in Tupperware just being saved for Jake when he got home from school. I found him in my bathroom sitting on the floor enjoying his brownie with his eyes closed. He thought he had found the perfect hiding spot and who really can see you with your eyes closed anyways?
I could go on and on but you get the point!

So with 10 good reasons to go, I did it! I went with the girls and I had a blast! Thanks for everyone who came with me. I just realized that all of our pictures are when we are eating, why do I mention this??? I have no idea nothing better than a bunch of women and yummy food!

Side note(Notice Ali on both tables in the two following pictures, same meal I promise. Brooke is missing on one of the tables and Ali snuck into eat her food too! Guess things never change)!





7 comments:

Ian and Lara said...

I love to see what you have been up to. Little Bray Man is too funny! I love the eating the brownie with his eyes closed! That is hilarious!

Slack Pack said...

Oh my gosh Shemri! I could not stop laughing! It was like a replay of the last 10 years of my life! Life is sweet isn't it....and so are time outs!

Riss said...

I heard it was fabulous. A bunch of women from my ward here with down to Virginia to the same conference. I missed bit but hope to catch the next one a little closer in Pennsylvania in April.

Julie said...

How fun, and yes, you have very good reasons for needing a "time out." Tige was out of town that weekend or I'd have left my kids and gone too. Next year for sure!

M.S. said...

I am so happy to hear you ladies went to TOFW. I told Ali about it forever and I wanted to come to the St. George one. I have been to Ogden and Logan (twice) and I love them! Glad you encouraged her to go... and that you all went!

Jill Lewis said...

I'm so glad you were able to go! Please, please send Jake and Braden to play at our house-especially if Braden has dressed himself. I love it.

Unknown said...

I am so glad you took a time out! I would love that too. It sounds like a fun and spiritually uplifting feast! Your boys are so cute, and you can tell they are boys, for sure!
You are so cute, and I love reading your blog. It makes me laugh!