Sunday, November 22, 2009

I remember when.....

Tomorrow is November 23rd - this is a day that passes by each year with so many mixed emotions, (Big Jake's birthday)! Each year I think about how old Jake would be...just two years older than me and then I think about how long I have been missing him for. I just have to add 9 months and three days onto my little Jake's age to realize that I have been missing him for too long. We are so thankful that "Big Jake" sent down our little guy to love and remember him by. You see Jake and Rand were great friends and we loved so many things about Uncle Jake. He was hilarious, full of energy, an athlete, great hunter, fishermen and horsemen. Most of all he was a good person, a good friend and a great dad. We knew that our little guy was going to be a wonderful person and needed a strong name like "Jake". Through our little guy, Jake's legacy can be remembered and we will always be proud to have two Jake's in our family! This year I was lucky enough to spend this past weekend with Jaidon (Jake's son). His personality and his huge smile ease the sadness I feel when I miss Jake. Jaidon just turned 16 yrs old and is a little hotty, not to mention one of the best kids I know. He has a heart of gold and would do anything to help one of us girls (Ali, Brooke and me) out. Remind you of anyone?????????

Now, I have never asked much of you blog readers out there but this year I need a little help. I want to try something different. I usually write a little tribute to my brother in my journal each year but this year I want to create a few new memories of him. I am asking you (if anyone reads this) to write down a memory you have of Jake or email me a picture that you might have. After spending time with Jaidon this weekend I thought he might enjoy reading these memories. Hopefully one of you out there will have a new picture of him that I have not seen.

Here is my memory, chosen from a list of many!

After I came home from my mission I moved up to Salt Lake. Jake was there for anything I needed. Many times he went out of his way to help me fix my car (or just assure me that my car was fine, it would just save him a lot of time if I would remember to put gas in it). Jake always put family first..one night I remember he had received some tickets to a Jazz game. He could have taken a date or any of his guy friends (who would probably have watched the game and not just stared at the Jazz Players Wives to see what they were wearing), but he decided to invite his two little sisters instead. The night started something like this. First of all we were all broke so we decided to stop at the store for treats so we didn't have to buy them in the game. 2nd Jake was having some stomach issue that Ali and I were aware of simply by the smells reeking out of him every few minutes. When we got to the game we realized no one had brought a bag or a purse so we made Ali (the little sister - Brooke be happy you were not there), well we made Ali wear the bag around her neck under her "vest" and Jake snuck the Pepto in his pocket. ----See display picture below.
(Remember back then we did not have a digital camera and I pretty much chopped everyone's head off in every picture.)

We had a great night but with Jake any night was going to be fun. Lots of laughs were shared and I even watched a few minutes of the game.

It's my blog so I am going to share two memories. When I think about Jake my next immediate thought is about Jaidon. Jake loved this little guy more than anything and I know that he still watches over him.

I miss you and love you Jake, thank you for so many memories!

9 comments:

Julie said...

How come almost every time I read one of your posts I end up in tears. You have such a talent for sharing your thoughts and feelings in words. We hope your family has a wonderful holiday season.

Jill Lewis said...

This is a really sweet and tender post. I love the story about going to the Jazz game.

Rasmussen Family said...

I can't believe it has been that long either. I don't have any pictures to share but I remember how he always joked around with everyone and was everyones friend. I remember a few sleep overs when your family lived in Kearns. As fare as looks, he was CUTE!!! Jaidon definatly takes after him in so MANY ways and I know Jake is still looking after him from above because he was such an AWESOME dad down here!!!!!

tsroybal said...

I'm in tears from this post. I miss your brother so much. He was my best friend for so many years. Its like you said, he would do anything to help you out.

My one (of many) memories is of the new horse I received from my grandpa and we kept her at your grandparents house (Bardsley) while Jake tried to help me break her of some bad habits. I remember him jumping on her in the backyard and he bucking so hard it threw him. He jumped up and was cussing so bad. Oh course I was laughing. He jumped back on again and gave her a piece of his mind. I miss those days. I also miss the days of riding up Pine Canyon (up nine mile). Those were the days. I have a few pictures, I'll scan an email to you.

Elizabeth said...

Shem, this is a great post. I have so many fun memories of Jake. Ask Ali about the first two times I saw Jake. We still laugh about that. Also, he taught a bunch of us swing dancing when we were seniors in high school, took us shooting guns, fishing up Joes Valley and even on the cattle drive. And just like you said, he could have been doing all these fun things with his friends but he wanted to hang with his little sis. He was a great big brother and I'm so glad I got to know him. I miss Jake too!

amberschick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
amberschick said...

Hey Shemri, this post brought me to tears. I miss Jake so much, he was truely just a great person. One of the last times I saw Jake I was 18 and I was trying so hard to look and act cool in front of my boyfriend and Jake would not let me get away with it. He picked me up and spun me around until I was in tears! It was a great reminder not to take myself so seriously! He had such a great attitude and was so much fun to be around. OH, I miss him!!! Love, Amber

Heather said...

I don't have any memories of Jake, but I do remember how much you love him, and you always talked about him. I remember that crappy time in the fall that was so bittersweet when you learned you were expecting. I know it was one of Heavenly Father's tender mercies!
I can't believe Jaidon is 16!

Clark and Alicia said...

Hey Shemri,
this is Alicia(Penry)Radford...i found your blog from my sister's, saw this post, and wanted to share a memory of Jake that I have:
The christmas before Jake passed away my Santa(aka:my moma) got us a trampoline for christmas. Christmas Eve, in the middle of the night while we were sleeping, Jake came over and set the trampoline up for us, while it was freezing and snowing! He really wanted to help make christmas special for us...I don't know many people who would have done that :o)