Thursday, February 25, 2010

Life is like laundry!



This is a long one...... if you are a man reading this you might not make it through the 1st paragraph!

Self Reflection time.....I have been thinking about me a little bit lately! I think that if you are a woman you know what I am talking about...the time in your life when you stop and wonder what in the world am I doing with my life? Have I really made a difference? Am I lazy and unmotivated because I would rather look at a blog of an inspiring woman that has a million talents than to actually discover any hidden talents of my own??? I think I have discovered my problem.....I am not unmotivated or uninspiring I am simply scared right out of my mind.

Let me explain....the kids go to bed and Rand is busy on the computer looking up the next amazing hunt that will be the most exciting adventure of the year. In his mind I am sure he is dying for the day when Jake and Braden will accompany him on these hunts and the three of them together will take over my house and I will walk into my home only to realize that it has been taken over by the heads of dead animals that have brought years of happiness to the boys in my family. (Wow, went a little off subject there). Back to what I do when the kids go to bed, first I go around picking up thousands of paper airplanes(Jake is obsessed at the moment which means Braden also has a strong passion of paper aviation), I then throw in a load of laundry and start the dishwasher, talk to Rand about how I really am so happy he loves hunting and look at a few maps of where he would like to hunt in 8 months(you know you can never prepare to much). After all this is done I find myself cozy on the couch, laptop in hand, watching American Idol and reading a few blogs. Here is where the absolute scared part fits in.

Right now I am totally addicted to blogs that teach me how to build things or reupholster or repaint or redo (thanks ShaRee and Lara). I look at the millions of projects that I could be doing and instead I just keep reading. I start thinking about the end table that is half done in my garage waiting to be painted black because the gold and brown glaze job I did....well, it ended up looking like newborn baby poop. I think to myself honestly how do these woman do this? I then start reading a few blogs about woman who have posted craft ideas or family home evenings that are so well done they could keep even the craziest kids attentive. I am sure these woman have never had a family home evening where they just set up army guys pretending it is the war in heaven. (Jake's favorite lesson to teach) (The board game RISK comes in handy for visual aids). I then read a few blogs of woman who have overcome tremendous obstacles in their life and set a goal in my mind that I will be a better person (I am also addicted to the Nie Nie Dialogues at the moment, this woman's strength floors me). I then find myself inwardly committing that tomorrow morning during breakfast I will have secret notes for my children to read letting them know how much I love them, I will send Rand off to work with a kiss as I am running on my treadmill and when Jake is off to school with a nutritious lunch packed I will play with Braden teaching him to read by the time he is 3 and when he goes down for a nap I will finish sanding a dresser, start writing a book and planning an adventure for Jake when he returns home from school.

That never happens.... the goals I set every night seem to vanish every morning when Braden is eating a frozen waffle in front of Dragon Tales, Jake and I are working on homework that could have been done the night before and I can't run on the treadmill because I didn't put the laundry away last night. I have talked about this before and one quote keeps coming to my mind. "If you keep doing the same thing you will get the same result". Have any of you felt like goals were more like laundry? Never quite done and always piling up?


Continuing with the analogy that goals are like laundry I have decided to set a new goal. With laundry you have to sort first. Sorting in my house means everyone brings the dirty clothes into my closet and dumps them in a huge pile. I then sit there sorting with stain stick in hand.(Any one who has boys knows that stain stick caked on grass stains will eventually make grass stains come out). I sort and sort and when I am done one load usually gets put in right away. 1st step of goal setting.... I must sort and sort through all of my goals and choose the one I really want to achieve (not get overwhelmed with the long list of goals I eventually want to accomplish). After sorting laundry into lovely piles of colors, whites, levis, etc I come back from putting the laundry in to realize that Braden has also sorted the clothes and they are no longer in the piles I left them in. 2nd step of goal setting...Realize it will not always be perfect at first or the way I planned it. That first load of laundry usually gets put in the dryer and sometimes another load gets put in the washer. Step 3 when starting out with a new goal I am usually gusto with excitement and motivated to complete it. Through out the rest of laundry day life happens..the clothes usually sit in the washer to long and the clothes from the dryer get piled on my bed, by the end of the day I realize that the clothes did get washed but I now have 32 loads of laundry sitting wrinkly on my bed waiting to be folded. No worries I have Oprah, American Idol and the Bachelor on my DVR so I turn the TV on and start to fold the laundry! Step 4 I need to realize that just because I didn't achieve the goal the first day or even week, don't give up. The laundry always gets put away even though it wasn't folded right out of the dryer and my kids have never had to wear something dirty out of necessity... sometimes by choice but not because clean clothes were not available. Step 5 Be flexible in the way I approach goal, most importantly ACHIEVE goal, don't give up!

I may not refinish, craft and create a spiritual atmosphere in my home all in one day but that end table in my garage might get done before summer. Besides, just to make myself feel better I bet all those blogger women out there have something they don't do perfect, right???? Maybe they can sand a dresser and make it beautiful but if you opened their fridge it might have mold or something in it. Maybe those crafters out there that can make anything look cute have kids rooms that have dried toast in the corners or piled up laundry on their bed. Tonight instead of reading a blog about inspiring woman I just might start to be inspiring. JUST LIKE FOLDED LAUNDRY!


14 comments:

Ian and Lara said...

:)

Vegas Emily said...

I LOVE this post. Shem - most people only blog about the best parts of their lives - not the crap or struggles. Love the laundry analogy. I've gotta go - need to refinish the dresser =).

Slack Pack said...

I think you just wrote my biography! You nailed it right on! Sad huh?!

Jamie W said...

Oh girl, you are much more inspiring than you know. You definitely inspire me. I agree with Emily - people generally are blogging their best selves, not everything else. We need to get together!

Speaking of cool blogs though - have you seen knockoffwood.blogspot.com? Very cool blog that intimidates me, but makes me want to learn woodworking.

Riss said...

Maybe the problem isn't that you don't achieve your goals but that you are thinking too much. By the night time, I'm usually sitting on the couch going "bah, bah, bah,..." like Goldie Hawn in Overboard. Just relax and enjoy American Idol and Bachelor. There is a time and season for everything - including painting the inside of my house, playing the guitar, reading and all the other things I love - just as soon as I sleep more than 2 hour stretches and my kids quit throwing up:)

Perky's Posts said...

Shemri you are awesome! Love this entry especially after seeing a bunch of crafty blogs and deciding again that I am overwhelmed!

Dave Harris Family said...

Very well said!

Rosalyn said...

That is funny Shem, I read your blog thinking how you do it all. I just in general have stopped reading blogs so I feel like I am doing something in my life.

Unknown said...

Shemri, I just love you....seriously you are so funny! You always say you think I'm amazing, "how do you do it all." haha, I don't feel amazing AT ALL. I think YOU are amazing in probably everything you do. I love to read what you write because you have such a great way with words. Everthing you said is SO TRUE! Ugh....I get way overwhelmed with all the crafty things I see too. Craftiness is what I love, but my whole computer has a million crafty things saved of what I wanna do or should try. What I should be doing instead is CLEANING & playing more with my kids. Anyway, not sure where I was going with this post. I lost my train of thought. But, that's all we can do. Focus on what's really important, one thing at a time. Do a few fun crafty things and what YOU wanna do here and there right!? I'm working on that...the cutting back part! I'm rambling now...haha, sorry! Anyway, Great post!

Unknown said...

Hi again!=) I'm gonna drive you crazy! Since the mom's cirle I've been reflecting so much and reading your post got me thinking even more. But, I sorta laid all my thoughts out on my latest blog post. Not sure if that was a good idea...haha. I don't have it all together like you may think. If you have a chance to read it please, please give me any advice that you may have. I'm looking for feedback to make me feel better I guess! =)

Jaime Lynne said...

This post was well-written and well-timed for me. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

You are inspiring and you are REAL! That is what I like about you! We are just women pushing through each day and little by little we will get there!

Advice from Ordinary People Flourishing Together said...

Wow....you are right. That was way long. JK it was another great one!

Hopes Family said...

Shem, it took be an hour to read this post between answering the phones, the door bell, kids request, and more. How is it that you analyze everything in a profound way? I think every mother feels that way and if they don't they must be sick or amazing, you choose. By the way Jilian has been kicking by but. Holy Cow after you told be about your workout I heard from a few other people about how good her workouts were so we started working out with her. Man oh man you are right!