Thursday, April 22, 2010

Is it appropriate??


I am old! Well maybe I should say I am not young! I find myself caring about the economy, the environment and even worry about what my kids listen to on the radio and what they see on TV. The fact that I have kids alone makes me "not young". I have started questioning myself before I climb up cliffs now and I almost hesitate when I eat an extra cookie.....

( Notice the word "hesitate" I think you have to be at least 55 before you really stop yourself from eating the cookie and then by 65 or 70 you can eat as many as you want so that you can begin the stages of looking like a cute grandma.) He He!

Anyhow, let me share with you the latest thing I came across that made me realize that as I get older I care more and more about the things that matter and less and less about the things that don't.

Just recently I was looking up on Amazon some books about adoption. I wanted something simple and cute - something that explained how babies come to families in many different ways.

I had narrowed my selection to three or four books and then started reading reviews. Because of my extreme indecisiveness I love to read reviews. Sometimes I don't like or want to formulate an opinion for myself I would rather just trust unknown strangers to tell me what to buy and I usually end up agreeing with them so what does it hurt?

This book was on my short list and in fact the one I was leaning towards buying.



I started the review process when I came across this review: Read for yourself and see if you would buy the book??

(I must add that the reader only gave the book one star.)

"This is a really great book except that it has religious content. I wish that Amazon or the publisher had signaled that this book talks about belief in God, as that is not a message that is APPROPRIATE for our family. If it is appropriate for your family you might like the book."

Does it mean that I am old or just appalled at the fact that a belief in God could not be "appropriate" for a family? I am open minded and believe that everyone can believe in what they choose but when it comes to adoption I find it hard to believe that anyone who has adopted chooses to believe that God did not have a hand in it.

This also makes me thankful for parents who thought it "appropriate" to teach me about God!

I find it "APPROPRIATE" to say this little guy was a gift directly sent from Heavenly Father to our family!


I think his brother would agree!



13 comments:

Everitt's said...

Shemri, I am so with you! I know Trevor was sent to me by Heavenly Father. I could in know way have gotten him if it were not for Him!! Love ya and thank you for your posts! Heather

Jaime Lynne said...

Wow! Just wow! Satan is powerful and his attack is clearly directed at the family. Anybody who has been touched by adoption has surely felt the power of a greater being. I know I have!!!

Paul & Kaytie said...

Darling pictures of your boys! Yes, it is appropriate to say that Heavenly Father has had a hand in bringing your sweet little Braden into your family. I believe He has had a hand in all adoptions. So did you buy the book? If so, what do you think of it?

Riss said...

Those are two very handsome boys! Watch out world! I agree that adoption is definitely part of our Heavenly Father's plan. I read in an Ensign article a long time ago that some babies have to have a different birth mother so they can get to their family. What a blessing adoption is! Another cute book about adoption is by Jamie Lee Curtis and is called "Tell Me Again About the Night I Was Born". It is one of my favorite all-time children's books. It's good for everyone. I used it when I taught school. Almost none of my students had heard the story about the day they were born. Sad! I tell my kids on their birthday every year.

LeAnn and Kids said...

Being on the otherside of adoption I truly felt a powerful hand that played a roll. It's something that you really can't explain other than it was a heavenly sent blessing in many lives.

LeAnn and Kids said...

Oh and...Look for the book, "Once upon a time: An adoption story by Ashley Bigler" It will make you cry just thought I would worn ya. Also the giving tress is not really an adoption one but you can make it relate to it. Good luck!

Mary said...

What a sweet post, but you made me cry. I agree that all children are a gift from God but especially those that join a family through adoption.

M.S. said...

It amazes me that some people really don't believe in God. I just don't see how that is possible. But I guess to each their own. And no, you are not getting old... noticing things is a better way to look at it.

Unknown said...

Shan here. So sweet! I love those 2 little guys! What a blessing your little family is to us! We love you, and I know that many of our prayers on your behalf have been answered by a loving Heavenly Father. I don't know of any great books, just the one you and I are going to write about all of our experiences through creating our Eternal Families! :) LOL. Seriously, it was no accident little B- man is in your family. And I'm ecstatic that your puzzle is almost all the way complete!! 'Always in my thoughts and prayers! I love ya!

Heather said...

You are wise.
There are all kinds in this world. I'm grateful to know what I know and who I know.
Your family is beautiful.

Unknown said...

Oh Wow! I definitely know that Heavenly Father had a hand in making sure I was sent to the family I was meant to be with as well as many others including yours. How could somebody that has had a miracle like that not believe that he has?

The Hawkins Gang said...

Hey I put my spaghetti recipe on my new blog, make sure to go get it there k. :) BTW - the pics of the boys!!!

Rosalyn said...

Very cute boys that our Heavenly Father has given you.