Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Happy Birthday Big Jake!

November 23rd will always be a day I shed a few tears, a few laughs and most of all a day where I will miss the opportunity to get on the phone and tell my brother Happy Birthday!  

How  honored I feel to have loved Jake and how honored I am to have a beautiful son who shares his name with such a great man! 

I stole these pictures off of Brooke's blog (hope she doesn't mind).  As I look through my own pictures of Jake it makes me sad that there are no new ones to share.  Although Jake has been gone for 9 years  I still find myself reaching for the phone just to ask him a question and hear his happy voice.  
Oh how I just miss his voice!  

Happy Birthday Jake!



I seriously think that Jake's hair was pathetic and he would not appreciate me sharing this picture with anyone.  (I can still push his buttons!)


I hope my dad doesn't mind that I share this poem because I did not call to ask him.  This is the poem that my dad wrote to read at Jake's funeral and I think it sums up Jake pretty well.



He loved life and life loved him,
If you followed him around, you could tell where he'd been.
He left smiles, warm feelings, laughter, and giggles.
Grown-ups would marvel, while the children would all wiggle!

Helicopter spins and it didn't matter your size
When he put you down, it was hard to tell if you were still alive.
A squeeze by Jake put even a bear to shame,
Those big strong arms, never left you feeling the same.

Everyone was special to Jake, and he let them know,
It wasn't hard for him to let his heart go.
A special word, a smile or a wink,
Your frown would be gone in less than a blink.

His friends were of all ages, young and old,
Didn't matter where he traveled or where he would go.
At work, at a game, a mountain or park,
Everyone liked him and wanted to share a part.

He loved football, the Raiders were his team,
Whenever they would win his face it would beam!
If they beat the Dolphins and especially the Bears
Paul and I would hear it forever, whenever he was near.

Fishing was a passion, he loved standing in the stream
Marveling in nature, special time to dream.
Watching the fish jump or a hawk flying near,
Hearing its cry and saying, "ah hell it's already there."

Lonesome Dove, Tombstone, a River Runs Through It.
Last of the Dogmen and Wyatt Earp: times he would sit.
Living his life through the adventurous times
Feeling he was Gus, if only in his mind.

Hunting in the Gentry, knowing every tree and ridge,
The gap between work and bills he could finally bridge.
Escape with his horse, riding until night
Coming in at dark, building a fire, singing to its light.

The life of the party, favorite songs we would sing
Late into the night the oldies would ring.
"Out on a Date in My Daddy's Car" and Running Bear"
Patches and Laurie, these memories we would share.

How he loved his sisters, he was their hero.
Took them with him wherever he would go.
Guided and protected them, kept them from harm
Threatened their dates with a strong right arm!

Loved Rand, Kenny and Brad - they were his Bro's 
Set an example of love, compassion, and more.
Taught them to ride, appreciate the outdoors,
Respect nature, take what it offered and give back more.

His mother sat higher than all of the rest
He often told me, as mothers go, she was the very best.
Shared his secrets, telling her things in trust,
He needed her in his life, she was a must.

Uncles and aunts, cousins in plenty
Lots of love to go around, love for so many.
Moonlight hunts with Joh, finding elk with Bob,
Special times with Scott, riding, hunting, all of the calls.

Autumn colors called Jake to the hills 
That is where he got his real thrills.
A bugeling elk, pheasants in flight
This was Jake's heaven, pure open delight.

Jake was a thinker, took pride in his work,
Never let a friend down or responsibilities shirk.
He learned quickly making sure things were right
Often staying late, working on into the night.

He was my blood, cut from the same block
Our love for each other was sure, it was locked!
My best friend, so many times together.
That's what I have left now, those memories I will treasure.

In Jaidon his son, he still lives!
Hes legacy, will continue to grow and to give.
With each ride, campfire and night.
Jake remains in our hearts, never far from sight.

8 comments:

Shelly said...

Happy Birthday Jake. Beautiful Post Shem!!

Jeannie b said...

I shed a few tears today...kind of caught me off gaurd at work today. When I share his life with Delon I get laughing so hard. Remember when he was Rain Man dancing with you that day after church. I was also thinking about how he fought with my Christmas Bears. I never knew who would be flying in the air next. The bear, Jaidon, or Jake.

Jeannie b said...

Oh wow...should have re-read and edited....OH WELL

Mary said...

Happy Birthday Jake! A wonderful post as always Shemri. You are such a wonderful writer and express yourself so eloquently.

The Hawkins Gang said...

That was awesome!!! This brought tears to my eyes!

Heather said...

Thinking of you Shemri! That was a sacred time.

Rasmussen Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rasmussen Family said...

I can't believe it has been that long. I miss his crazy, adventureous self! I guess in some small way it helps to know that so many people still love him.