As I sit back and think about all of the friends I have had in my life a huge smile appears on my face. Cheesy I know but think about it......think about the different stages of your life and all of the different friends you have had. I think some of my greatest memories are with my friends!
Since moving to the desert of Mesquite I have had the opportunity to meet some good friends as well. But these friends, well these friends don't make sense. Let me explain myself.
These are my sisters and our kids. It looks like a lot but don't think that because there are now even more. We love to hike and be adventurous, any time we can get together we usually find some kind of a cliff or rock to push and pull our kids up, just like my mom did when we were little. You see, my dad loves to hunt, fish and camp. My mom loves to hike and so while my dad and brothers fished for hours she pushed us up cliffs and so the cycle began!
You see I am a little bit "redneck" I grew up in this here desolate country they call Carbon County. (This picture is actually in Emery County but I would never admit it).
Most of my best friends came from these two counties as well so they knew what they were getting into when they "befriended" me! My other best friends came from "redneck" Idaho so basically same thing.
Oh sure there have been oodles of friends from CO and NY and all my great friends I met in Australia....
BUT never have there been friends like these..........
These are "girly girls" .....
They like to lay out and shop at makeup stores and powder their noses and bring three or four pairs of shoes for a weekend out. They do girls nights and girls weekends and I have learned in the last 4 years in Mesquite that I am a little bit "girly"now too!
Even though I claim to be a little more girly I am still "redneck Shem". For example, I emptied my cute purse to take a "practical purse" to Las Vegas on our girls weekend. The thought of shopping with a big purse seemed unrealistic and they called my "smart purse" a "fanny pack". I will have you know that fanny packs go around the waist, not over the shoulder and they are usually worn by larger women at Lagoon where they really are not flattering to the sometime accompanying bulging waist line. Yet these girls still called it a fanny pack. They also mentioned that I should be wearing some
Tiva sandles to go with the fanny pack.
(Won't they be surprised to see that I own Tiva Sandles (so nicley displayed below), and I am also a proud holder of a REI Membership card)!
So............... it doesn't make sense.
It doesn't make sense that a girl so different as me could have so much fun on a girls weekend in Vegas with some distinguished women. I came away from my first "girls weekend" ever refreshed, laughed out and ready to tackle a few new goals we talked about. It's amazing that getting together with women can be such an informative experience.....We talked everything from Budgets, the Gospel, Parenting, Being a better wife to makeup and hair (I learned a few tricks here!)
There was more we talked about but you know what they say........
What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas and the rest is history!
In the words of Renee.. "thanks gals" it was a fantastic time, can't wait until next year!


4 comments:
Looks like fun! You look so good and are so tan! I need help! I am going to fry my white Oregon skin off in Mexico!
...so, I guess I'm officially the "redneck" friend you referred to? Gee, thanks.
Wow I'm jealous! But it makes me happy that older people can have friends too.... :]
Had so much fun! I want to come down there again, I miss you all already!
Post a Comment