This is Jake, he's on my mind!
This is Jake dressed up for rock and roll hair day at school!
He reminds me of me.
Always willing to have a good time but not TOO crazy as to embarrass yourself or show your insecurities.
Why is Jake on my mind? Probably because most of the time he is out of sight! I can usually tell when the school year is getting close to ending because I start to feel an empty feeling that I have not spent enough time with this cute little 8 yr old.
The school owns him, from 8:15 to 3:15 each day.
Monday his piano teacher owns him for a little while after that.
Tuesday I get to have him for a few lucky hours if, big IF, he hasn't chosen a friend that is way cooler than a mom.
Wednesday - Sports usually own him, basketball then football and soon baseball.
Thursday - Scouts take over and......
Friday I get him for a few hours.
He is in 2nd grade and I miss him! What ever will I do when he is a teenager and I never see him. This little guy and I spent 5 1/2 years together and looking back now I loved every minute of it. If I was honest looking back I remember having a little shadow that followed me from room to room and I probably complained a little bit. But I am a mom and it is my prerogative to ignore any times that I was not perfect. I am a mom, and I choose to concentrate merely on times when I was doing my best mothering!
So when everybody else owns your kid don't you think you should at least get him after dinner?
Well... if you thought yes you were naive. That's when he is practicing piano, doing homework, playing with friends and I find myself wondering, "where do I fit in now"?
So when I stand by his bed tonight and this little guy tries to steal a few more minutes of "staying up time" by talking to his "unimportant mom", I shouldn't get mad and hurry out the door. I should quietly listen as he gives me the highlight reel of his day. I better start to really listen..... for fear that the highlights he gives me are going to be my best glimpse into his world.
Yep, he is on my mind for sure!
1 comment:
One word for you Shemri, "JAAAAAAAAAKE!" =D
Post a Comment