Sunday, August 11, 2013

Bighorn Trail Run


At the end of every road trip there is a certain comfort with coming home.   
The roads traveled were fun but the thrill of going is sometimes equaled to the peace of home sweet home and routine.  
Don't get me wrong, within a week of being home I am ready to go again but you get the idea.   

Before returning home Rand decided to demonstrate what will and determination was with a 30 k run through the Bighorn Mountains.  Dallin his brother ran a 50 K and Paula and I sat at the park enjoying the beautiful weather and view of the Wyoming Mountains.   

Just FYI a 30 k is something like 18 miles and that is probably 15 miles more than I will ever run in my life at one time.  Yet, Rand set out on his journey confident, determined and with a belly full of carbs.   All the training and healthy eating went out the window as he tried to carb load for what would be his personal longest run.  

Rand we are so proud of you and Dallin!
I didn't even mind that when you finally stopped running and your legs cramped up that I had to take off your shoes and socks. :)  I was very happy to do it for you, I think true love means taking off your husbands sweaty socks after he has run 18 miles.

We were informed that the trail was steep and Rand agreed.  He had plenty of stories to share about people falling and using his hands and feet on some of the steeper parts.  Stories are still being told now weeks later and I have come to the conclusion that Rand is very much addicted to trail running.  He even talked more about trail running than hunting this month and that is a big deal.    

The sign up location!  
I love redneck Wyoming, I feel so at home. 
In fact I would move there no questions asked.


During the race.......

This is what Miss Layla did while she waited for daddy to come across the finish line.  
Sugar Cookies make waiting a piece of cake or should I say a piece of "cookie"?


Nearly Done
Keep on Trucking......


The Jakester and BMan there to help him cross the finish line.

Finish Line
Right before he cramped up and got his massage by the river!



Seriously,
So proud of these two brothers!
  Such an example of goal setting and achievement!


Future note to self....
Don't run an 18 mile race and then drive 10 1/2 hours before you stop.. You will not be able to walk the next day.  

2nd Future note to self ...
If Shemri is the one driving for the 10 1/2 hours have her pull over and get a soda, don't rely on the moose in the middle of the road at midnight to wake her up just because it worked this particular time.  


No comments: