Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Road Trippin....


Bracken Family Road Trips can either be really fun or fun with a lot of whining, fighting and lots of complaining.  This particular road trip just happened to be REALLY FUN!
The kids were gems and nobody was sick (which in itself is a miracle)  usually when we set off on a trip someone without fail gets strep throat.  

Rand and I were commenting on one of the daily drives that this was the first family vacation that we did not bring one binky, one port a crib, one diaper bag or diaper for that matter.   It's official we are entering a new phase in life and although I love my babies and hate to see them grow up so fast....
I love the interesting people they are becoming.   


1st Stop Martin's Cove -
The horrific events that transpired at Martin's Cove have always made me thankful that I was not a pioneer and did not have to cross the plains with my family.  On this trip however I was reminded my two darling (couple) missionaries that the experiences and lessons learned from this group of saints were lessons that are still being taught about in classes today.  Their determination, their spirt and the opportunity they had to truly rely and come to know God is awe inspiring.  

So you ask what did I like about Martin's Cove.....

For one thing I liked this fireplace.  The wife of  Mr. Sun who owned the ranch that Martin's Cove is on was a rock hound.  This fireplace was made from the collection of her rocks!  My kids especially loved this because they just happen to be rock hounds themselves.   Many a day I have a clinking in the dryer from rocks I missed in pockets.  




Remember my lovely trek experience from last year, well the kids thought they would love to try it out on their own.  The whole time they happily pulled their little handcart I felt like saying, "ya but try it in the sand going up hill in 110 degree weather with a 500 lb handcart.   Ya try that!"  
But as I thought about it , I decided to give them their moment and be an adult.  




The next thing the boys liked about Martin's Cove was this......


and this!   
Guns and arrowheads, any questions??


Next stop..........


When we got out of the car at Independence Rock, the weather was hot and bees were everywhere.  I seriously had to wrestle in my mind if the benefits of seeing this historical spot would outweigh my desire to sit in my van and sleep.  You guessed it, how could we come this far and not stop to hike in the hot sun, see names engraved on a rock from travels long gone and soak up the laughter of my little family.  So I quit the fight, jumped out of the car dodged the swarm of bees that were trying to personally dive bomb me and hiked with the family.


Day 3 or was it 4 or maybe 5?  

Bear country + cool weather + beautiful drive through South Dakota = happiness.


If you haven't been to bear country you must!  It really is such a fun little adventure for everyone.   You enter the park driving in your car with many warnings to keep the windows rolled up.  It would be quite tragic if one of the hundreds of bears reached in and clawed  your face, right?  Safety precautions  were taken but there was a time or two when the window just had to come down (only when we were a safe distance from a bear).  


Look at these lovely elk we found in bear world!

My favorite part of the trip was the fact that Miss Layla's fun came from just about everything but the bears. 
The gum in her hand deemed to be more fascinating than just a silly old bear! 
"Oh mom, do you like blue gum, I love blue gum, I think gum is so good and lovely, I think you should try this gum, dad do you want some gum, everybody should have  blue gum."  Completely oblivious to the bear itching his shoulder on the car door.






If I were a bear this would be me for sure!




Children when you are reading this and are much older ask me about the "buffalo", it is something we can all laugh about!

No comments: