The question should be, what's a Trail Ragnar?
Definition from the Ragnar Dictionary:
The Ragnar Trail Relay is a gritty trifecta of the most scenic trail loops Mother Nature can serve up.
Take everything that makes Ragnar special, mix in incredibly scenic dirt trails, bonfires, s'mores, and camping with your team.
Teams consist of 8 or 4 runners and will run a total of 120 miles. The race takes an average of 22 hours to complete. When you’re not running, you’ll be busy cheering on your teammates and soaking up the party atmosphere at Ragnar Village!
Now I answer the question...
What is the Zion Ragnar and what made it so crazy?
That's quite the question!
The ride to picturesque Zion started very normal with lots of excitement and good conversation and I was beyond thrilled that I was allowed to go along as the team cheerleader......
But,
what started so normal soon took a turn to crazy land.
As I entered Ragnar Village I loved the excitement that all the runners displayed on their very happy healthy faces. I loved the energy of the race, the tents, the music, the motivated skinny people eating healthy twigs and last but not least the comradeship of our teammates. All in all it was shaping up to be such a fabulous time, Justin and Angie even came all the way from Montana to be in this race!
In fact it was so absolutely fabulous that I found myself thinking,
"why don't I run"?
"Look how hard these people have trained and here they are achieving goals and having a grand time."
Then I quickly remembered the months of running and training it took to get to this point and I reminded myself that I loathe running and sweating and I soon became extremely happy to settle as team cheerleader.
Camp was taking shape nicely,
Blue was all settled in,
Guys still had smiles on their faces...
Geo - Rand - Ian- Dallin - Blue
Other people who were surely on drugs were also ready with camp set up.
The team was a mighty strong team if I do say so myself!
Ian, Justin, Angie, Geo, Rand, Blue, Dallin, Mical
Angie was a fine representation for the women of the world (she held her own for being the only girl), I was so proud of her!
All went so well until this happened.
The SNOWFALL OF THE CENTURY!
A snow storm that left runners stranded for hours out in the middle of snow covered mountains with slippery trails. Poor Justin was running and was caught in the worst part of the storm, I am pretty sure he had beginning stages of hypothermia when he finally got back to the village. He inspired me with his determination to keep going and giving up was not even an option for him. Blue spent the majority of the night waiting for Justin to come in as he froze with the other eagerly waiting runners.
After the danger became to high for the race to continue they called it and this fine team still ended up taking second in their category. As a cheerleader I could not have been prouder.
Here's to next year when I refuse to take down camp in a mountain snow storm.
Way to represent Desert Dawgs!
Until next year!
I might even run with you, oh who am I kidding, no way!

No comments:
Post a Comment