What's here, you know what it is.. just read every mom's blog with children this week and they will tell you the 1st day of school is officially here!
I've been thinking about the 1st day of school and this is what I've determined:
**-Boys are way different then girls.
The first day of school for me was not a day, it was an event with a month of pre-planning and prepping. My mom would load me up in the car and we would head to KMART (the only store where I grew up). I would try on every shirt in the whole department and then I would pick out my pants, my skirts, my fake jewelry and then I would beg to not by tennis shoes even though they were more practical. I wanted pumps! I would come out of the store with a feeling of euphoria, the same feeling I get when I find a good deal now! I call it retail therapy! Then I would plan outfits mixed and matched until I had exactly two1/2 weeks of outfits without wearing the same one twice. This led to the next event which were glamorous fashion shows nightly! When my sisters started school I began the same process for them.
Elementary came and went and I started earning my own money from babysitting and I saved so diligently for a trip to Provo (the big city) and a real mall. I saved and saved and spent my whole summer savings on a pair of Girbaud pants and an LA Gear jacket. It didn't matter that that's all I could get because I was going to be the lucky girl that finally wasn't wearing the "fake cool jeans" (believe me I wore plenty of "fake" clothes). (I just had a bitter memory of having a fake cabbage patch doll when everyone else got a real one with Xavier Roberts signature on their cute little dolls butt - but that's another story).
Now for the difference, Jake didn't want to buy school clothes, I even told him we would make a day of it, "grab some yummy lunch, shop, stop for slushies and listen to the radio really loud." He turned down my great idea and to my dismay he simply stated, "mom I already have clothes and if you want me to have more you just go get them. Oh and by the way I don't want shirts with collars." So to his dismay and for turning down my wonderful idea I came home with polo shirts galore. I will teach him to be a boy!
Let's talk about the BMan! He was super excited for school shopping but only for backpacks. He wanted a Dora one and I really didn't know how to break it to him, that he would regret that decision big time in his life! Instead we found a Spider Man one at home which we had forgotten about and he thought it was so cool! WHEW! The other issue with the BMan is that he won't wear any clothes anyway unless they are soft shorts (basketball shorts) and soft shirts (muscle shirts). His first day of school was a total fight and as soon as he got home, he said, "I am taking this hard shirt off"! And that he did!
My conclusion=I am a girl, they are not and we are sooooooooooooo different! ( I guess I am really glad for this).
**-I wasn't as sad as I thought I would be.
I have had a lot of time with my kids this summer and we were all getting on each others nerves just a little bit. Since school has started Jake is super happy, BMan plays happily and sings all day (no one to bug him). My bonus is that I get lots of one on one time with Braden and with my cutie patootie, Miss Layla! I also found out that I miss my Jakey when he is at school and we have been riding our bikes together every night!
No matter what they do, I love these guys and I think they are so so handsome!
Jake has had a great group of friends since kindergarten! Can't you just see them all in high school all studly (is this word from the 80's?) and handsome and oh my....it is going to be bad!
He was quite shy when we actually got to preschool and the teacher gave him a cute little birthday sack with treats and new pencils that were not sharpened! When I picked him up I asked him how his 1st day was and all he had to say was, "I din't actually get any treats". I pointed out his cute birthday sack and said, "you got a treat in there", he told me "mom, I got broken pens"! (un sharpened pencils)!


8 comments:
I can't believe Braden is going to pre-school. You are braver than me. I've already got heartburn thinking about sending Abbie next year. It turns out I'm a bit of a control freak when it comes to my kids. But oh the fun times you will have with Layla. You can practice early on the fashion show stuff. Easton would wear the same outfit every day to school if I would let him. In fact we had a fight about just this morning.
B is only in preschool for two days a week for 1 hr and 30 min. So if it was any longer I would be sad!
I loved this post. I also got a fake cabbage patch doll for my 10th birthday, only I didn't know it was fake until my friends pointed out that Xavier wasn't on the butt. I was so devastated, my parents broke down and got me a "real" one even though they couldn't afford it. I still have both dolls and their clothes. They're in Abby's closet waiting for her to become interested. Girls are FUN!
How funny!! You TOTALLY described my school shopping days! We used to do the same stuff, even trying them on every night and picking outfits out for two or more weeks!! Boys are totally different. Luke didn't care if I got him clothes or not! Jaycee was mad that I didn't buy her more than the 10 outfits that she got :( Ashlee hasn't grown in a few years so she didn't even need clothes, but I got her a few anyway :) I love your posts. They are so fun to read!
When John was little it was much the same. He could care less about shopping for clothes or anything that had to do with school...Boy did that change as he hit middle school. He is in 7th grade this year and it took weeks to find all of the right clothes that would go in his wardrobe this year. We could not buy anything unless he had tried it on and made sure it looked GOOD on him. We shopped all of the COOL stores in the mall and shopped for at least a week for just the right backpack. My point is, Jake may change his mind about letting his mom shop for him once he is a little older. I know that you have little miss Layla, but someday you might have fun shopping with your boys too.
I remember those shopping days. And I remember not having a REAL cabbage patch doll also. I really don't like to shop, and my girls don't either, which makes me happy. They just wear what I tell them to wear. Hopefully this lasts a long time.
Shem I just have to tell you. I love reading your blogg you make me smile your too cute... I always enjoy visiting with you...
Okay, Shem, when I read the title I thought for sure this was going to be about HUNTING! Because for the past two weeks, I feel that my life has REVOLVED around bugling, watching elk hunting shows, more bugling, and the weight of an arrow (to name a few!)!
Post a Comment