MOAB?
Growing up in Price Utah I lived close to the beautiful Moab arches and spent many a day on the river that flows through Moab. Oddly enough I have not spent a lot of time in the Arches National Park.
Rand had never been to Moab and he decided to sign up for a half marathon trail run there. The trail was amazing and at times he was running through rivers that were waist deep, scaling cliffs on all four and running by petroglyphs all in a matter of a couple of hours.
We are so proud of Rand for getting in shape and doing what he loves.
Jake had a big football game and stayed with a friend ( I can't believe this is starting already). Sidenote... I don't think this will happen again, I missed him and realized family time is as important as football (at least until he gets into high school wink wink). It seemed so weird to just have the younger two on this little journey but we enlisted the company of Nana and Grandpa Delon and had a fantastic time enjoying Moab.
Much to my dismay Layla had a little stomach bug and we stopped many a time on the side of the road along the way.... but she was a trooper and as soon as her little episode would pass she quickly returned to her "bipolar" self. I sincerely believe all three year olds are a little bipolar.
We took advantage of the many pit stops along the way to hike a little and get out of the car. Anyone who knows me knows that driving in a car is one of the things that I really can't stand. After about 3 hours I literally go insane! Rand can attest to this as I change the music 15 times, start car exercising and make the kids play games from my vast bank of traveling knowledge. I know it seems strange since we are always going but I love the destination not the journey!
I would love to go back to Moab and hike all the trails, we traversed the Moab cliffs the night before and a few more hikes after Rand's run. His poor legs were ready to rest but he was a trooper and hiked with us and even carried the kids a time or two.
Recognize this pose?
Layla went through a few outfits due to her little tummy problem but she hiked and hiked. I think she was born with the spirit of a warrior shown by her determination and strength. I wish I had been born with the arms of a gorilla... trying to hold my 45 pounder up as she squated in the bushes time after time seriously made me think I had been doing a cross fit arm exercise.
Just some of the beauty along the trail, we found so many reflective "puddles" that magnified the cliffs above.
I say beauty but this wall is probably telling the story of a tribe killing animals and dancing through a fire in a pre meditative conquest of another tribe kind of way.
How beautiful????
I know this post is not about the hiking trails we hiked but it is a post to showcase my man and his amazing feats.
I don't think Rand will ever be satisfied with regular half marathons after running through terrain like this.
The finish line was brutal, the racers had to run up a cliff that at times had them crawling. Pretty cruel joke if you ask me. Rand handled it like the endurance man that he is and came in smiling!
I love the energy of a race, I love the friendships and the genuine feeling from everyone as they truly cheer on those still racing.
So proud of you babe!









1 comment:
Maybe we'll join you for the Moab next year, looks awesome.
Post a Comment