Sunday, December 29, 2013

A Hunting we Will go.....again!

I know, I know, I know while others are posting pictures of museums and art shows and cultured events, I post, trees and camo and animals and all things "naturific". 
(I just made up that word Nature + ific). 

Rand the Hunter drew out in the land of Bunkerville NV.  Does it sound magical to you?  Not to me either.  However, he could scout from home and we 4 wheeled and he hiked and we 4 wheeled and he hiked until the land was studied and the deer were found.  

Every year I ask Rand to blog his hunting experiences, share his time with his family and sons for all posterity to read.  Every year he turns me down, so this is my version of the hunt.  (I wasn't there for most of it and I am sure there were a lot of "epic" things that happened that I will never know or for that matter want to know), but here we go.

Rand drew a tag!
It was close - right here in Bunkerville.
He called in recruits from Northern Utah clear down to the Southern parts of Utah and let's not forget the two youngest guides from right here in Mesquite NV.  


They packed a lot of stuff!
I mean a lot!
I packed the food, there was a lot!
I mean a lot!

They could have survived for weeks but the hunt only lasted 3 days!  They just couldn't pass up one more buck and brought Bambi's father down with one shot.  

They slept in this!
(hopefully this is nap time and they did not sleep in their clothes)

When they woke up they looked like this!
(Oh man this is a scary pose, I will hold this photo for blackmail against my father in law).


They let my kids drink Dr. Pepper and Braden celebrated with glee!
(This would not have happened with me there)


They walked around in rugged mountains like this with an occasional bit of help from a rhino or 4 wheeler.


When they were tired they stopped to scope the mountains.
(This rugged handsome man is all mine)  I am a lucky wife of a hunter!



Rand's brother Mikey is an architect in real life but he is an exceptional camera guy and comic relief for everyone.  He was the 1st person Rand called to escort him on his hunt.  As I went through the pictures it was easy to see that Mikey's architect mind was going crazy with the old mines they came across while hiking.  There were a lot of pictures of mines from every single angle.

A whole new perspective to hunting.



Rand tells me all the time that hunting is not about the kill.  It's about the challenge, the hiking, the bond of men, the scenery, the gearing up and the thrill of survival.  
I basically think it is a load of crap and he tells me that stuff so that he can continually trace all over the mountains in search of the "big one". 

But,
then I find a random picture like this in his camera roll and I almost believe his spirituality comes alive on the mountain.  
How could anyone not want to soak up a little bit of Heaven on a brisk cool morning?
I believe him a little bit.


Layla and I drove up and visited them one night so that we could pick up the boys who were missing school.   (I secretly love camping when I get to go home and sleep in my bed at night).


Murphy's Law - I took the boys home one day too early!
This big buck was killed the morning after.

Rand told me something about a 400 yard amazing shot - steady as anything - could of made a hunting video kind of morning but I can't remember all the details.

Let's just say the hunt of 2013 was EPIC!


The brush and trees were so thick it took them a full day to get the deer and drag him out!  They were so tired and hungry when they got home I went right to work to give them a home cooked meal from Taco Bell.  


That same day they helped a family in our ward get another deer.  
That's Mikey and Rand just the boy scouts that they are out doing good in the world.

2013 Hunt
Rand and Mikey +1
Poor little Deer -1

Victorious - and enough memories to last until next year. 
Where they Will RETURN!
(I would bet the farm on it)


No comments: