Friday, August 12, 2011

Lake Tahoe

Squint your eyes  and look really close!  On this island is a little castle!  I love castles!
Right across the way by Eagle Falls is another Castle called Vikingsholm Castle. 
(I didn't get a picture of it)

 Vikingsholm Castle is in the middle of Emerald Bay and I want to live there
 

Everyone knows I have a thing with castles and aspire to be a queen but I don't think people really believe me.  It's true!  I have always been intrigued with castles especially medieval castles.  Those Renaissance Fairs where all the "drama club" and "theater people"  dress up and pretend they are kings and queens, well it is kinda of my secret wish.  Not so much to be a queen at a renaissance fair but to be a queen for a day!  I want servants and the ability to be a just a tad mean if I wish.  Not "off with your head" "Queen of Hearts " mean  but maybe a little bit.  I would be fair and ethical but I would have power.  I want to entertain in the Royal Courts and have a feast where I eat so much my corset pops.  
Oh and there will be a corset!  

Vikingsholm Castle was used to entertain socialites and I find the history of it quite interesting for some reason.  Read here http://www.vikingsholm.org and see if you think it is as interesting as I do.

Lora Knight who the castle was built for seemed to be quite the entertainer.  I would have loved to entertain my guests the way she did.  I loved reading about the special perks her guests would experience, I found this next one clever and thoughtful.

" Gracious hospitality was continuously extended to guests. An example of such hospitality was the care of guests' automobiles. They were washed, serviced, and filled with gas shortly after arrival. If a guest drove his car on a trip around the lake anytime during his visit, even if it was only for a distance of 10 to 15 miles - the car was immediately washed and filled with gas upon its return.

This quaint castle is even better because it is hidden by yellow flowers, my favorite color.  



BMan was fascinated with the little house in the distance and Miss Layla was determined to see it as well!


Our family pictures are hilarious!  At least Jake has got the posing thing down for sure!  8 years of me as a mom and you realize the best thing to do is "grin and bear it".  The faster you smile the faster it's over.


We were having so much fun hiking around and enjoying the scenery that is all the pics I have!
Just food for thought, next time in Lake Tahoe pick a cute little dive along the Lake to eat at.  Why settle for Denny's like we did (not adventurous)?  The kids were extra hungry and we played the "safe" card but......  I am going back just to eat at the little shack overlooking the lake, even if it did appear to 
be on fire.  


2 comments:

Ian and Lara said...

Did you get to go in the castle? Megan and I thought it was pretty cool too! Lake Tahoe is a place I would love to visit again. Maybe we could meet you there next time! Love Layla's tip toe picture.

Mical and Diana said...

That picture of Braden and the yellow frisbee is classic. If I had to pick one picture to sum up that little dude, that would be it.