Upward to the California boarder, next stop......Truckee California.
Truckee by way of Reno and Reno means two specific stops.
1st stop - In and Out Burger
2nd stop - Cabela's
(Any question as to who was in control of these options, hint.....not me)
My family has now been pictured in 3 different states in front of 3 different Cabela's. Some people aspire to travel the world taking in culture and the arts, Rand's world evolves around taking in stores that sell guns and hang dead animals on the wall.
I have a feeling Miss Layla is not going to be the feminine girly girl I hope her to be. She walked around this store with a finger pointed at the animals and making shooting noises.
(Her dad was proud while I tried to bring home the point that we can take pictures of animals too)!
There really is no hope here!
Reno Temple, I had Rand drive by just to balance out the experience for the kids.....who am I kidding, two of them were asleep in the car but at least I felt better driving by.
Truckee California is a quaint little town, it almost reminds me of Park City! The air was cool and I loved every minute of it.
(1) 1st stop was obligatory! I have a passion for cute overpriced chocolate shops. Braden is my apprentice in this department and he is also developing an appreciation for fine chocolate. Mr Brady bug is a man after my own heart when it comes to the "sweet" things in life.
Rand and I vacationed in Truckee when we were first married and I brought home with me HUGE pinecones. They have been displayed now for 11 years on my Christmas Table. My mission this time was to gather at least 20 more pinecones. The kids excitedly assisted me in the task at hand. Rand being the good sport that he is stopped anywhere I saw the perfect pinecones. He even turned around a time or two just for me. You just wait to see how cute they are going to be on my table at Christmas.
Who said there wasn't balance in my family? For the history lesson of our trip we visited the Donner Reid Memorial site. Braden could not believe the snow was as high as this monument (where the statues start), he kept telling me I was teasing (which I was not). Jake on the other hand did not want to learn more, he could not stomach the fact that anyone could be hungry enough to eat another person. I always wonder why they left so late in the year in the 1st place. Hmmm, I guess life is about learning and being thankful for your own trials. I truly would pick all my own trials again, I feel other's have it much harder than me.
Hiking in the mountains is probably one of my most favorite things to do!
Hiking in Truckee California is like having whip cream on top of ice cream.
Start with something sweet and make it even sweeter.
Hiking with MY family in Truckee CA is like adding a cherry on top.
(Strike that I hate maraschino cherries,
maybe it is like have caramel on top.)
This little missy finds pleasure in being higher than the rest, comfort is found on the top bunk bed, a bench, the table, a stump. She takes pride in the authority she feels by being just a step up from the norm. Ruling the roost is quite easy for her and she has made it her personal mission to make sure everyone knows who in charge. Good thing for her she is so cute because when she demands attention she usually ends up getting it!
One thing is for sure. She has this daddy wrapped around her chubby little finger.
Last but not least..............
Life lessons can be learned everywhere you go! I really tried to create a "life lesson" moment for Rand at the Donner Reid Memorial Park.
Take note...... This is a picture of Rand and a sign designed by local children who feel strongly for a specific cause!
What is the cause you might ask???
I tried to tug at Rand's heart strings and had him mediate on these children's plea.
For a moment I thought I sensed regret and noticed a glistening in his eyes. I wondered if it could be tears over ending the life of a bear just weeks ago.
The glistening of his eyes proved to be evil as he high fived Jake once again for being the great bear hunters that they are.
This is what the tile stated........
This is what the tile stated........
So I reach out to those of you who are not lost causes, my family is hopeless.
May you all heed the call to live in harmony with Bears!
Next stop along the way - - - - - Lake Tahoe!

2 comments:
Shem, you need to show me how to make my pictures bigger on my blog. Also, we should chat sometime. It's been ages.
You guys have had such a fun, busy summer! I just wanted to warn you to inspect your pinecones for bugs though!! My in-laws brought me some BEAUTIFUL pinecones one year, to find that they had tons of little moth egg sacs in them and they all started hatching right around Christmas time. Not so fun!!
Post a Comment